Chinese-Forums

Are you chinese?

Yuchi

Ok this has been bugging me for quite awhile.

Why do people ask such question?

Do I look chinese? Does it matter if I am?

I have at least one person who asks me this, every year. As the years pass, less and less do so.

I mean, come on, do I ask if you're black?

[/rant]

^_^

Anyone else living in a non asian country get this?

I think people are just curious about the "minority". I'm indeed in an Asian country (Vietnam) now and sometimes people come and ask me where I'm from, sometimes I tell them I'm Chinese, sometimes Ede or Bahnar, sometimes Vietnamese, sometimes "toi kho^ng bie^'t" (I don't know). hehe.

I think Vietnamese recognizes me as a foreigner because of my glasses, most of my Vietnamese friends don't wear glasses.

But I may go to Thailand soon (or maybe not soon, depends on my visa), so let's see what the Thai will ask me.

I'm a white guy living in China, and I don't look the least bit Asian.

However, on two separate occations I have been asked whether or

not I am Xinjiangren! Once a real Xinjiangren asked me the question.

Some of my Chinese friends suggested that these people probably

have their eyes under their feet...

I found this quite amusing, and I now often say I'm from Xinjiang

whenever a Chinese person asks me where I'm from (which is about

ten times a day)!

I sometimes ask that question to certain people. I didn't know it makes people feel uneasy. Sometimes I want to practice my chinese and so I ask if the person is chinese. However, after getting weird looks I haved decided it is better to not ask. When I was in China I noticed asking this question was not a big deal.

I occasionally ask people that question, only I ask it in Chinese so that they know I'm interested in speaking the language rather than just being a rude white guy. I'm usually right, at least. Getting better at telling the ethnicities apart.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually this is an interesting topic. But first of all, can anybody define how should a Chinese look like?

For my personal experience, I have been recognized as many nationals.

The supervisor in my Japanese company used to say that I looked exactly like a Japanese. When I entered with my Japanese colleague into the soapland in Japan, I was never denied. (They have a policy not to entertain foreigners.)

During a working Sunday in Seoul when I needed to be out on the field, 4-5 nice looking Korean ladies came to ask me direction (I always wonder how come the Koreans don't know their capital), I could only reply "morayeo".

Over here in US, everybody thinks that I am a local unless my accent is detected after 2-minutes' conversation.

And in HK, everybody knows that I am a local too.

But in Shanghai, even though I didn't speak, many people would give me a glimpse and probably they were aware that I was not a local.

• 1 month later...
I'm a white guy living in China, and I don't look the least bit Asian.

However, on two separate occations I have been asked whether or

not I am Xinjiangren! Once a real Xinjiangren asked me the question.

Some of my Chinese friends suggested that these people probably

have their eyes under their feet...

Actually.........

Xinjiangren have a tendency to look like Westerners. ^^; Their facial features usually include a taller nose, larger eye line, more prominent forehead. Generally, they can be full Chinese, but still look as if they're dominantly Western, mixed with Chinese blood. So it's not unusual that if you can speak Chinese, but look Western, people will assume that you're Xinjiangren.

This could also be attributed to the fact that Asian people can't think out of the square sometimes. -__-'' Kind like how if you're Asian, and go to Japan, they'll just assume you're Japanese.