Chinese-Forums

Kubuntu Intrepid: Skim, Language setting, general chat

Hero Doug

I ran KDE 4.1 from some time this summer until about 3 weeks ago. The skim which runs in 4.1 is the same as for 3.5. I've had several problems with skim but now I can't remember what they were beyond the fact that I often ran into focus problems. Just before I switched back to Gnome, I remember reading some people in some forums suggesting that people should forget about skim and use the gtk interface instead even in KDE.

(To be fair scim does not interact with Gnome perfectly either.)

• 2 weeks later...

I found that SKIM worked in all the applications quite well when it worked, but there were two problems that threw me off Linux.

The first problem was that when switching between applications I wouldn't be able to be able to gain focus and begin typing. For some applications I could right click my mouse, then left click it and gain focus, but this got old fast.

The other problem was that I just couldn't type in opera much of the time, and ended up using Firefox.

I had this problem using SCIM, but SKIM was also pretty bad in my opinion.

The first problem sounds like a bad window manager. I've never had it.

The second one I think I know. Sometimes, SKIM simply stops working in a program -- i.e. refuses to switch to the Chinese mode, regardless of what you do to it. It works in the other programs, though, so I have to restart the editor to type Chinese.

It doesn't happen too often, but often enough to be annoying.