Chinese-Forums

meaning of Xiao Ya Tou (小丫头)

catchacub

When a female less than, say, twenty, is so called, more often than not, she is thought to be cute, lovely, sweet( of course, by her elders, otherwise, she is teased); this remains true even if she is called by a stranger. However it is usually not so desirable for a mature woman to be so called by others except his 长辈(his parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts); though once in while it can be used in a playful or teasing way, it is far oftener the case that people do this to show their contempt or disdain: they think you are too young, too inexperienced, therefore not important or respetable.

Nobody said anything about the hairdo, which I will clarify. Traditionally, girls under 20 had a hairdo with two buns on their heads sticking out like "丫". They change their hairstyle at their 笄禮. Therefore "丫頭" refers to girls under 20.

Ooh, Hofmann, you are awesome!

I remember my mother used to speak of her younger sister as 小摺精的(transliteration of the local dialect meaning “little pompous girl”)before their common brother, my uncle and my uncle’s wife(我舅妈). My Mom, of course, was calling her in an affectionate and playful way; she seemed enjoying doing this quite a lot. Considering my aunt was in her late thirties, I once tried to persuade my Mom not to call her this way especially before us adult kids. But old habits die hard; I later found out the term easily found way back to her lips. It’s just too tempting to resist. My aunt, however, seemed not vexed in the least; and in effect, she seemed quite comfortable with the pet name.

My Mom still calls her this way.

Some confirmation for what Hofmann said about the 丫 hairstyle. It's called 丫髻 (ya1 ji4).

http://www.hudong.com/wiki/%E4%B8%AB%E9%AB%BB

丫髻

丫髻,古时幼女与成年的未婚女子的发式。古代,凡未成年或成年但未婚嫁的女子,多将头发集束于顶,编结成两个髻。其状左右各一,与树枝丫杈相似,故名“丫头”,亦称“丫髻”。

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

I found this thread as I was Google "Ya Tou"

I am a Vietnamese girl. There is a Northern Chinese man called me "Ya Tou"

At first I find this to be rude and disrespectful to call girls. Maybe I don't know Chinese culture well, but I cannot find anywhere this word "Ya Tou" is a good meaning.

I personally prefered to be called "Xiao Gu Niang" since this is more cute and polite way to call girls. But usually "Xiao Gu Niang" are use in Southern China more. And "Ya Tou" are use in Northern China more.

I find it to be offensive when he called me "Ya Tou", do usually Chinese men does not like Vietnamese girls? Or they just use the word "Ya Tou" to call girls that they look down upon.

I generally have good impression on Northern Chinese men, but somehow it just not properly to call a girl that they don't know well "Ya Tou", it just give a bad impression.

I guess the man might not mean anything bad (eg look down on you etc). As in most languages, men can call women a lot of bad things in Chinese if they want to. And if you don't like him calling you that way, I don't see why you can't directly tell him so.

I'm in Beijing and haven't been called yatou so far, I usually get guniang. I too prefer guniang over yatou. I agree with skylee that you can just tell this man what he should call you, be it xiao guniang, miss, or a Vietnamese form of address. Or you can just stop talking to him altogether if he gives you a hard time.