Chinese-Forums

HSK Vocab lists

johnmck

The HSK will be comming up again in France in May next year so it is about time I started trying to learn the HSK Vocab. I have an number of equivalent lists, all in alphabetical order. I guess I am not the only forum member who has looked despairingly at the prospect of have to try to learn 2000 - 3000 words that are in what is essentially an arbitrary order. I can use an Excel Macro to randomise the order of the words, but this will not help much.

Does anyone know of a HSK list that has been built up with the intention of helping people learn it? For example having the words in groups of usage (Kitchen items, office words, travel words, etc)

You can find HSK lists in quite a few places. I use quizlet. You could use that list and set it in random order. You could then look up the words you dont know and place your example there. That will help you remember the word in context. However, any flashcard programme will do that. I dont think there is any learning tools that match your description.

Knowing all of the HSK words also wont guarantee you the highest score. Many words in the exam do not feature on the list, especially colloquial expressions. I recommend using mock papers and HSK practice material as well.

Which HSK level are you interested in and how many of the words do you already know? Learning the entire HSK vocabulary (including advanced) can take several years if started from scratch.

I urge and implore you to get an SRS flashcard program, like Anki or Mnemosyne or Supermemo. Spaced repetition will help you memorise huge amounts of data more quickly.

And I agree with Scoobyqueen. Vocabulary is only a part of the equation, so mock-up tests are indispensable.

I am planning on talking the HSK standard for the first time next year (previously I took the basic). I am currently concentrating on my weakest point which is listening (I'm following the FSI course). But obviously this ignores characters and specific HSK vocabulary, so I wanted to revise these.

I have tried supermemo, I didn't work so good for me which is why I am trying to find another way of learning the lists I think the idea of trying large numbers of mock tests is a good idea, this way I will be learning the words in their context and this will help with remembering them. Also it will make me aware of what grammar points I am expected to know.

The HSK web site speaks of a syllabus. Does anyone know if this is available in English? Also I have been hearing that the HSK will be changed, does anyone know if this has already happened and what the changes are?

There is some info on the wiki. Basically, you'll have to also write and speak at all levels, not just advanced. No idea when this will start being used, though.

EDIT. And supermemo (though powerful) is quite a mess. I recommend trying mnemosyne, they even have the entire HSK vocabulary split into characters and words and separated by categories. Very easy to use.

Johnmck, I'm interested in the info you're asking about too. I have found it impossible to find reliable-looking information about the HSK test in its new form - when will that start, what is the new format, will the vocabulary lists change, etc. Something like a syllabus would be nice. I've also had a hard time finding a good list of US test sites that is current, and I haven't been able to find 2009 dates for the US anywhere. I actually think that maybe a wiki on this site wouldn't be a bad idea - there are a lot of questions asked about the HSK in these forums, but it's parsed up into several dozen different topic threads and it seems like a lot of the info floating around is now outdated.

At http://www.hsk.org.cn/english/intro_summ.aspx it states:

6. Preparation for HSK

As a standardized test of general language proficiency, HSK is not based on any particular textbook or course of study. Therefore candidates may refer to any textbook in preparing for the test. Nevertheless, it is important that all candidates read HSK Test Syllabus carefully, a guide for the pre-test preparation. It contains an introduction to HSK, a sample HSK test paper and the key, HSK glossary and a CD of the sample listening questions.

I have not been able to find out where I can get this syllabus (or if it exists in English). Does anyone know if the "syllabus" referred to is a detailed list of exactly what must be learnt or is it little more than a sample HSK test paper?

Never seen any categorized versions on the HSK lists, though they'd be useful. Also worth noting that while the HSK lists are the nearest thing we have to an official list of vocab that learners should know, they haven't been updated for years - try finding any mobile phone or Internet vocab in there . . .