Chinese-Forums

Installing Chinese characters without Windows CD

sciam

Is there a way to install Chinese characters on my computer without using a windows CD?

Im running XP, pro edition if it matters.

I tried installing the characters with a CD bought here in China, but the pathway was totally different due to the CD being all in Chinese.

Any advice?

Although I'm not 100% sure of the rules for OEM installs of XP, I believe that you should either have received a copy of a CD/DVD that allows you to install optional components, or these will have been placed on the hard disk, in a hidden location. (I do have a slight concern that OEM vendors (i.e. most) of XP may be allowed to subset XP, but I haven't found a confirmed case of this yet.)

Have you tried simply using Start | Control Panel | Regional and Languages | Languages | Install Files for East Asian Languages?

I would, however, suggest that anyone buying a PC with OEM Windows, in the West, make it a condition of sale that it supports Chinese input and output, just in case vendors are allowed to omit the files entirely.

You may be able to install the Arphic (GPLed) fonts, but it might be that Files for East Asian Languages contains more than just fonts.