Chinese-Forums

passport lost, visa up in 4 days

bottledpoetry

Hey forum,

I am wondering if there are other responses besides "you're screwed" to my current situation: I'm doing a language program at Tsinghua Uni. My 90 L Visa, which I used to enter in July, is up in 4 days (due to a combination of factors, mostly complications with Tsinghua's visa service dept and yes, procrastination), and when I was preparing to go to Visa Center to change from the L Visa to the student F Visa, I realized that I couldn't locate my passport. Is there anything I can do temporarily to stay in Beijing? My program requires that I renew by the 19th of October or they can kick me out of the program. I called the Visa Center several times this morning, but with no response.

Also related, I just signed a contract for a half year sublet in Wudaokou. I had my passport during the time and have no suspicions that the landlord took it--but I'm worried that I can't sign up for a residency permit without my passport--do I need to sign up for the residency permit immediately or can I avoid it for a few weeks?

Thanks alot!

update-Just called the American Embassy, and due to renovations the department that handles lost passports won't be in until monday. :( Just my luck. Thanks for the responses so far.

Edited by bottledpoetry

I really doubt they'll be able to help you over the phone. Maybe someone can ask the PSB to give you a temporary residence permit for two weeks or so until you get your passport back, or can arrange a temporary new one.

Realistically, the people who answer the phone at these places won't be in any position to help you out. Unless your school can help you take care of this, your best bet is to head down to the exit/entry visa office (2nd ring road) and try to talk to whoever is managing things. The people are the desk probably can't help you, but you can keep asking them WHO you need to talk with to solve this problem. This isn't a routine problem, but surely it's not unprecedented.

Firstly, go to your consulate, report the loss, and apply a new passport. This you need anyway in any case whether staying or leaving.

At the consulate they should also be able to tell you a little bit about what to do next.

PS: all readers in China. Copy your passport and visa and keep that copy somewhere safe. It will help to have old passport and visa numbers at hand when needed.

I realized that I couldn't locate my passport. Is there anything I can do temporarily to stay in Beijing?

Just don't apply for a new passport - then you'll be there indefinitely :twisted:

As others have said - you just need to go through the motions. The embassy will be able to walk you through it (not sure if you need to file a police report for a lost passport or not) and then you turn up at the PSB and ask for a new visa - what they give you will probably depend on what they have on their system and what supporting material you have.

I know this doesn't really help, but don't you think it was a bit silly to wait until your visa only had 4 days left to run to try to change it? New visas normally take longer than that, particularly if you're getting your school to do it for you.

hey all,

Thanks so much for your help :) I talked to the Foreign Student Affairs Office, and one of the teachers gave me a letter in Chinese explaining my situation--then I had to get another letter from the police station on campus. Going to the visa entry/exit center tomorrow to see what they can do about the visa--so things have since gotten better :mrgreen: So there is hope!

and fanglu,

You're right. That doesn't help--thanks for your finger shaking anyway :roll:. Btw, I'm doing the visa myself, not through school. I actually went to the visa center on 10/9, waited in line and was told that I needed more forms from Tsinghua. So I went back, talk to their visa service and waited 2 days + weekend to receive the forms. I was leasing and moving into a new apartment at the time, and admittedly, could have done this earlier--but obviously didn't anticipate losing my passport.

It is important you report the loss immediately. Mine was stolen (along with my bag) six years ago and I am frequently asked about it at border crossings even today. It would be better if you had a good explanation as to why it got lost. Can come across a bit scatty otherwise and you certainly will be asked the question again why you lost it (no pun intended) and the process can be associated with some delays.

not sure if you need to file a police report for a lost passport or not

Obviously! The embassy/consulate might require it before they issue a new one. And there's always the issue of forgery/identity theft. I suggest first a declaration of theft/loss at the local PSB and then quickly hop over to the nearest consulate/embassy. They will issue a new passport and then subsequently you can apply for a new visa. Embassies are able to issue emergency passports (which are different in colour and very limited in time) in certain situations. They're a bit more expensive though. I had once a similar situation in a different country and was issued an emergency passport until my new passport was ready.