Chinese-Forums

Dashan

nosferatu2083

I've just read in the LA Times about "Dashan." The article was interesting. I he really very famous? The article made me think about the possibilities to become famous. If you can't work it out in your native country, you can still have a chance of being known by a billion people in China.

Yes, I think Dashan really is that famous, probably the most famous non-Chinese person in China.

Some foreigners seem to bad mouth him, or are at least a bit jealous, which is pathetic. I think his fame is well deserved. He became famous at a point when China was opening up to the world and had been isolated for decades due to Mao and the wars. So I think at that time, someone needed to communicate to the average guy that foreigners weren't all "out to get China".

I think he also has charisma and is a good host, in addition to having insane Chinese language abilities.

I read in another article about him that he actually has some fairly big reservations about Chinese society. He could write an expose book detailing his joys, hardships, and some of the darker areas of Chinese culture, but then his whole shtick would be over.