Chinese-Forums

Viewing chinese characters in a program

sweetcheri

I recently downloaded Kugou (酷狗), a Chinese program for downloading Asian music. However, the problem is that my computer can't display Chinese characters for it at all. It turns out in weird symbols. That is not the only program in which the characters can't be displayed...my QQ chinese characters couldn't be displayed either, before I installed TM 08. However, Chinese websites seem to work perfectly fine..it's just the programs.

Is there something I can do so that I can see the characters on my Chinese programs? It's all simplified Chinese, btw.

There was a recent case where applocal partially failed on a games program, and the control panel method was needed.

The problem with the control panel method is that it will change the character encoding for all programs. If you use any higher bit characters that are often used in other labguages then you get lots of funny characters there.

I would definitely try AppLocal first. It did solve QQ problem before it went Unicode with TM2008

The problem with the control panel method is that it will change the character encoding for all programs. If you use any higher bit characters that are often used in other labguages then you get lots of funny characters there.

This happens on websites only for me. But if I force the encoding (I think in MS Explorer English it's Show - Encoding) to Unicode, European pages will be OK, or I select BIG5 or Simplified for Chinese pages.

Common web browsers are Unicode aware applications, and should be unaffected by the control panel option we are talking about, and by Applocal.

Only broken web pages (unfortunately quite common) require an encoding override. The web standards require that web pages explicitly identify their character set.

Thanks for all your suggestions! 'cept for the fact that I'm anything but a computer whiz. XD About the control panel thing...I have Windows Vista, and have no idea where the "Advanced" tab is in the Regional and Language thing. It doesn't seem to be there.

As for the AppLocale Utility, do you just download and install it?