Chinese-Forums

Changes at Adsotrans

trevelyan

We've shifted the Adsotrans interface over to Popup Chinese. Dictionary edits and additions are welcome through our Chinese English Dictionary interface. Edits are no longer real-time, but the software will be updated weekly.

Exciting times. If anyone has any problems or questions about the transition feel free to get in touch. All of the older links on the Adso server are still up and operational - it is our splash page that is redirecting at present. Eventually we will shift the remainder of the site over (downloads, etc.) and/or keep Adsotrans as the hub for developer resources.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Prodigal. Really glad it's coming in useful.

---------------------------------------------

Unrelated note, although people visiting the site directly will doubtless find out for themselves, we've also just shifted News in Chinese over to the Popup Chinese learning site as well. If you haven't checked out the site in a while, you might want to drop by.

Biggest change is that the news feeds should update more regularly. I mostly use the service myself to identify new words and phrases for inclusion in the dictionary (highlight missing words and a box will popup asking for the definition and queue them for review automatically), but know that there are at least a few other people out there who lurk on it too. If you're one of them and the new interface is unfriendly for some reason please feel free to fire off a complaint.

Some feedback on the new Adso home:

1. Some red text is a link, some red text is just... red. Makes it hard to know what is clickable just by looking.

2. The update broke my Firefox keyword bookmark for Adsotrans. Before, I typed "adso 菩萨" in the Location bar to get this URL:

http://adsotrans.com/adso2.php?text=%E8%8F%A9%E8%90%A8

Now I just get redirected to

http://www.popupchinese.com/tools/adso

Which isn't bookmark-able because (I think) it uses AJAX to look up words on the server.

EDIT: apparently this is no longer the case, my bookmark is still working! Thanks! This makes it very handy to pass around URLs to Adso definitions as well.

• 4 months later...

As of a week or two ago, Adsotrans on the original site is returning the usual output but without the Javascript pop-ups.

http://adsotrans.com/adso2.php?text=%E7%9C%8B%E8%A7%81%E4%B8%80%E4%B8%AA%E5%B7%B4%E4%BC%90%E5%88%A9%E4%BA%9A%E4%B8%AD%E5%AD%A6%E7%94%9F%E6%AF%95%E4%B8%9A%E8%80%83%E8%AF%95%E6%96%B9%E5%BC%8F

I realize all development is happening now at popupchinese, but if this is a simple fix it'd be greatly appreciated!