Chinese-Forums

Help Needed - Chinese Pronunciation

mystictraveller

Hi,

I'm new to Chinese, and was speaking to my girlfriend (who has been in the UK from Beijing for 3 weeks). She is a student and she is a wonderful woman.

I've been trying to learn Chinese, and she has helped me a great deal to do this, but I need to know what she said to a friend.

When one of her friends and her were talking, I overheard them and in English her friend said: "So, how do you feel about him?".

My ears pricked up, and she must have known and so, replying in Chinese she said something. I memorised it and it was (I can't write the characters...)

"ching see fo lung yange fah tee long".

It could have been:

"Ching see fo lung ying fo tee lung" but I was working from memory.

I don't know what this means, can you please help?

I need to know what she thinks as I think I love her!

On what planet does it make more sense to come on to the Internet and post this question than turn to the woman you love and ask her a question?

I can't make any sense of it. She could have a heavy accent, she could have been speaking some dialect, or you could have got it entirely wrong. Or my skills might not be good enough. But really, ask her.

If anyone can decipher this, it will be a marvel. In Chinese, more than almost any other language, the number of similar sounding words makes even small differences completely change the meaning.

Allowing for her accent, different dialects, mistakes in memorising, not hearing clearly, different interpretations of the sounds you wrote, and a number of other factors, there could be hundreds of interpretations.

I can't make much sense of it either. Maybe a native speaker will get it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.