Chinese-Forums

我想接下来一年你肯定会过得开心的

anonymoose

大家好

Someone wrote this line to me:

我想接下来一年你肯定会过得开心的

My question is, what purpose does the 的 at the end of the sentence serve? The (chinese) guy who initially wrote the sentece said that it would be OK without the 的 but sounds better with it. So, can anyone give a more formal gramatical explanation. 谢谢。

I'm not sure if this is correct:

我想接下来一年你肯定会过得开心的

过得开心的

(过verb)+(得equates, verb=adverb)+(开心的adjective/adverb).

Normally words are equated to an adjective by hen3

过得开心

过得开心

过得开心的 sounds strange/redundant, but 的 in 开心的 is making 开心, the scene(开open 心heart), into an adjective/adverb.

-Shibo :mrgreen:

I'm not sure about the 很 thing, but it was really the 的 I was questioning. What about, for example,

你会后悔的

vs.

你会后悔

From my point of view, the second option seems more logical, but more often than not, I've seen the first version to be that used by a native speaker.

I believe this is just an instance of the 是…的 construction (to give more emphasis), where the 是 is optional:

我想接下来一年你肯定(是)会过得开心

and:

(是)会后悔

I'm not a native speaker though, so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure my second example is correct though... not completely sure about the first one (had to edit this message a couple times to switch the position of the 是 the more I thought about it... also I think there should be a comma between 年 and 你).

我想接下来一年你肯定会过得开心的

This sentence is theoretically correct, but no chinese will say it like this.

It's just strange.

Better rewrite :

下一年你肯定會過得開心.

you can make it even shorter.

下年肯定會更好!

or

明天會更好!

• 2 weeks later...

'我想接下来一年你肯定会过得开心的' I think this sentence is not gramatically correct,I DONOT SPEAK THAT WAY, but it does make sense. it should be 我想接下来一年你肯定会 很 开心.

• 11 months later...

I disagree that the 的 here is part of a 是...的 construction, although it is related. The 的 in this sentence is just an 语气词 (attitudinal particle?) indicating the speaker's categorical confidence that the statement is true. This 的 often appears at the end of sentences that have 会 or 不会 in them, indicating the speaker's confidence in the assertion.

I disagree that the 的 here is part of a 是...的 construction, although it is related. The 的 in this sentence is just an 语气词 (attitudinal particle?) indicating the speaker's categorical confidence that the statement is true. This 的 often appears at the end of sentences that have 会 or 不会 in them, indicating the speaker's confidence in the assertion.

agree with u

and some examples here

你一定會幸福的

他不會長壽的

一切都會好起來的

。。。。。

Although I think that 的 can be viewed as a mood particle (语气词) , I think that it is actually better to view 的 as part of the (是)...的 construction.

你会后悔的

vs.

你会后悔

From my point of view, the second option seems more logical, but more often than not, I've seen the first version to be that used by a native speaker.

I think that the difference between these two constructions is that the first is a comment about a currently perceived situation and the second is a pure prediction. When this type of utterance usually comes up in a conversation, the speaker usually wants to speak in way that reflects his or her life experience and his or her view of the situation presented. As a result, the former construction is often favored.

When you say 你会后悔的, you mean something like: "What you will experience based on all that has gone on is that you will be sorry. Notice that my Chinglish example uses a noun clause that has a similar function to 的 in Chinese.

I think that this nuance of the 是....的 construction often gives the flavor of a mood particle (语气词) indicating assertion. I think, however, that this is an indirect effect of the construction, rather than a direct meaning of 的.

In situations where there is a mere prediction about the future, I think the second construction is more appropriate. For instance, I would guess that one would normally say: 明天会下雨, rather than 明天会下雨的, since this is a pure prediction, rather than a comment on a current situation based on experience.