Chinese-Forums

Working Part-Time while Studying: Possible?

greenarcher

i hope someone can shed light on this issue. i've heard that it is illegal by law to work with a student visa, is this true? if it is, is it still possible to get an income in any way like tutoring for english perhaps? if it is legal, are there enough opportunities for foreign students who want to work part-time? let's say afternoons/evenings or weekends? plus anything i need to know about working while studying would certainly be of big help. just weighing my options. thanks in advanced.

Try searching for other threads first before asking.

It can be done. The money can be enough to live on and pay for tuition but will be very tiring as English teaching in China is a performance sport. Bigger cities have it.

If you're worried about legality you could even ask the university your are working for to arrange classes for you.

Most in demand are caucasian native english speakers. If you have one but not the other you can find work but it is more difficult and sometimes you have to negotiate hard.

If you don't have white skin or a native speaker background it can be difficult finding places.

Private Training centers usually pay the best. The lowest per hour rate is 100 RMB many teachers get 120-200 some even more.

Good luck,

SImon:)

i see. i've also heard about the preference for whites/caucasian, i guess it's really the reality in china. i was also wondering if there are other job occupations for (english-speaking) foreign students besides teaching/tutoring.

I'm currently working something like three part-time jobs while I'm studying. If I had the choice I certainly would love to dedicate myself completely to studying, but for a variety of reasons I'm also working. I have one tutoring gig once a week, plus I work part-time at an office and do a lot of freelance writing. It really does depend on your own skills and interests, and if you're interested in adding solid work to your resume while .

The only bad thing is that I have to be extremely disciplined and organized with your time, and if I'm not careful then I quickly become exhausted.

Also, while it's true that there's a preference for Caucasians for English teaching, I'm Chinese-American and I've taught English for two years. It's just a little bit harder to find those jobs that are willing to hire you.

• 3 years later...

I am almost in the same position as the op. I would like to attend a Master's course in Wuhan 2013, and with frugality, I will be able to save enough to pay tuition fees, airfare and rent for 2 years. However, I too would need to find enough part-time work to supplement a food+miscellaneous budget. Can I approach the University to teach English part-time? I have a Bachelor degree and TEFL but no teaching experience...

From what I have seen, if you can find any other job than teaching English (not so easy, I know - but possible) to make money, this will help you a lot in getting ahead in Chinese faster. If you get a job where you actually have to use Chinese (even just your beginner level skills - if thats where you are right now), then thats the jackpot.

Anything you have work experience in?

I have a lot of work experience, but nothing that I'm sure plenty of Chinese don't have already. I was under the impression it was quite hard to find any other work than teaching English on a student visa...

Thanks Roddy, sound advice - I'm actually really looking forward to teaching English. Will I be able to have the university arrange classes for me to teach or must I approach a private language school?

That would be a question best directed to the school. But if you make it known that you're looking for work, it'll probably come and find you - might not be in the university, one of the office admin people might have an uncle who owns a school, etc, etc. And no reason you can't go looking as well. Generally I'd avoid private schools if possible as you increase your chances of being pulled up for working on a student visa - see if you can stick to private tutoring in homes or cafes. Plus you cut out the middle man.

• 2 weeks later...

As for legal... I was told by the PSB there is no such thing as legal part-time work. If it's not work provided and paid by an institution that provided you with a Z-Visa/Working Resident Permit it's not legal. They told me anyone they caught would be fined. That being said the chance of being caught is...