Chinese-Forums

Foreigners & Tattoos

GoodPeoples

In my experience, Chinese people are fairly negative about tattoos in general.

However, they are even more negative about Chinese characters on foreigners. Mainly because most of them are either totally wrong or very badly written.

I ran into a guy not too long ago who had supposedly gotten his name tattooed on his arm. In reality it worked out to say "Man who beats his wife".

But, to answer the original question: I agree with the above poster. The typical Chinese attitude towards tattoos is negative. Add in bad/incorrect translations and you''re likely to get more negativity.

I have a tattoo on my shoulder and it has Chinese characters... I designed the tattoo myself and provided the characters (with help from some here I think, memory could be getting vague though, its been a while) to the tattooist and when I was it showed to some Chinese (my tutors for example or when I was in the gym (summer time) when it was on show for everyone to see) I had no negative feedback (not that they would really) or looks, but did get some positive comments... probably because the three characters I used were 身,意,神 for body, mind, spirit (closest I could think of at the time) and have the bagua with yin yang and a couple of dragons... its not big but for me it has meaning...