Chinese-Forums

Elem/Int HSK - Zonghe tips??

lilac521

Hi all,

I am scheduled to take the elem/int HSK exam in about two weeks. Through taking a few practice tests (after doing some HSK prep work first) I've realized my zonghe score is really, really weak compared to the other sections - ie, on a practice test I might miss 3 in grammar, 5 in reading, and 10-12 in zonghe. I'm weak on the multiple choice especially... does anyone have any tips on improving my zonghe score fast or strategies for that section? Or any sites specifically related to zonghe?

Xiexie!

The problem with preparing for any standardized test is that you can't be certain what the content will be, and therefore have to study "everything".

I think this test will be a good trial run for you. If you do well, great. If not, you'll be better prepared for next time.

I think the only thing that can really help the 综合 section is lots and lots of reading.

• 2 years later...

Two years later I'm finding myself asking the same question.

I took the HSK this time last year. I scored 6's on 听力 and 语法, 7 on 阅读 and a 4 on 综合, so I was only given a 5, which I can't use.

I've been preparing pretty heavily over the last year. I'm sick and tired of studying just for this stupid test, so I hope I can get at least a 6 and be finished with this.

I bought all of the HSK 8 prep books, and am just about done with them. I've averaging an 8 on everything BUT 综合, which ranges from 4 - 6.

Anyone have any tips on what they did to help them prepare for the 综合?

Also, as for grading, I know if you get 3 of one score (e.g. 3 8's) and 1 of the preceding score (i.e. 7), they'll give you the 8. However, if you get 3 of one (e.g. 3 8's) and one really low score (i.e. 4), then what? Do you get a 7 or 5?

I figure no matter what as long as I get 7's on 语法,听力 and 阅读, it shouldn't matter what I get for 综合, they should give me the 6, right?

if you get 3 of one (e.g. 3 8's) and one really low score (i.e. 4), then what?

If you get 8's on three sections and a 4 in one, by their rules, I think you would get a 5.

Basically, your overall score = the lower of (i) score in your worst section plus one, and (ii) the lowest score among your top three sections.

http://www.hsk.org.cn/english/Intro_hsk2.aspx

III. Prerequisites to be awarded the HSK Certificate

1, The total score should be higher than the minimal level in the related grade.

2, Three of the four section scores shall exceed the minimal level in the related grade.

3, One of the four section scores is allowed to be less than the minimal level in the related grade, but shall not be less by more than one level. If so, one can only get a certificate of the lower grade.

Here are some threads about the grading of the old HSK, if you are interested. We spent a bit of time figuring how the test is curved. Even somebody who worked for HSK and was posting here didn't know about the grading curve.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/21242-how-consistent-have-your-hsk-scores-been/

How consistent have your HSK scores been?

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/8720-hsk-paper-marking-question/page__st__20

HSK paper marking question

Thanks for those links. They were all very helpful.

In preparation for the 综合 I've been going through Patrick Zen's list. I should have the top 1,000 done by the time the test rolls around in two weeks. I've also gone through and learned all of the characters for the answers in the mock test book I mentioned above.

I'm averaging around 55% on the mock tests. Hopefully everyone does poorly and I'll get a small boost from the curve--at least enough to get me a low 6. If I can manage that, I should be smooth sailing for a 6 or 7.

We'll see... *crosses fingers*

For what it's worth, I was told my a teacher that in the last few years the trend for the 综合 exam has been to require more comprehension than before: basically, before it might have been easier to skim the question to work out what grammar point they're testing, and then select the right answer without even bothering to understand the meaning of the sentence you've just skimmed through. But now understanding the sentence is a bit more important than it used to be. Can't say whether it's true, or important, though it's possible that HSK textbooks published a few years ago might not reflect that change, minor change though it might be. (This refers to the 'old' HSK exam with 11 levels in all.)