Chinese-Forums

Good books re the Tibetan thing... any suggestions...?

Shadowdh

Hi there all,

for my dissertation I have (maybe rather foolishly) chosen to take on the Tibetan thing... trying to get at the real story behind the media hype etc that is so prevalent in the west. So does anyone have any good suggestions for books that have a balanced view... cheers

Hi there,

As you said, this is not an easy topic to tackle, but in some ways it has gotten easier, at least to sum up the historical background. One book in particular, "The Snow Lion and The Dragon: China, Tibet, and the Dalai Lama", by Melvyn C. Goldstein, 1997, will provide a great grounding in historical facts and arguments. The notes and bibliography will also point you toward a number of useful primary sources. Goldstein really sums up each sides arguments and does so in a very even-handed way. A lot obviously has happened since 1997, but this gives a good foundation for looking at a complex question.

Another book, which I have yet to get in my hands but which sounds promising, is "China's Tibet?: Autonomy or Assimiliation" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074253989X?ie=UTF8&tag=chinadigitalt-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=074253989X There's a blurb at China Digital Times http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2008/10/who-owns-tibet/ I say it's promising because it sounds like it looks at the perceptions of the different sides. Though these perceptions on the ground do not always align with historic facts, they definitely do affect the reality on the ground and the potential future of Tibet. I'm sure you can also find a lot of opinions in Chinese blogs and chat rooms to add to this side of things.

At any rate, those are a few thoughts. I wish you luck. Cheers.

"The Snow Lion and The Dragon: China, Tibet, and the Dalai Lama", by Melvyn C. Goldstein

I've heard that that is really good. The Dragon in the Land of Snows, by Tsering Shakya is good, and the author is fairly balanced. Wang Lixiong's book 天葬:西藏的命运 is also a very great one volume work about Tibet.

I've also read Secret Tibet, by Fosco Maraini, which was interesting because it was a traveloque from a Tibetologist who visited the area in two extended trips in the 1930's.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Tibet-Panther-Fosco-Maraini/dp/186046873X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226497552&sr=8-1

Thanks for the tips Wushijiao... I do like the look of the Snow Lion and the Dragon... I might just buy that one yet... (along with a few others... I mean hey its for a good cause (my uni degree, at least thats what I will tell the wife...)... :mrgreen: