Chinese-Forums

Firefox3 China Edition

null

This is the real firefox, but branded to appeal to the Chinese market. See here (in Chinese) for more info. I haven't checked it myself, but its still using the underlying rendering engine and everything, so I can't see how it's going to be more compatible with any websites.

Also, as an aside, it's not firefox's poor support of websites that is the problem, but rather websites that have been poorly designed to only work with non-standard behaviour and/or bugs that only exist in IE.

it's not firefox's poor support of websites that is the problem, but rather websites that have been poorly designed to only work with non-standard behaviour and/or bugs that only exist in IE.

God I hate that, and why is it that so many Chinese sites are like this? I hardly ever have to open up IE for english websites, but it seems every second chinese site will only work with IE.

Still prefer to the English version, the Chinese translation is really no good, just like the MS help files.Every time I read them, I kind of feel like I am reading some unknown foreign language. Sometimes I even have to stop and think for a while to figure out what does that sentence mean.

I'd suggests getting the "ie tab" addon for firefox
I just got that and am very happy with it; great not to have to open new windows. I do have some problems with Firefox not closing correctly when using it with Xunlei, but not sure whether they stem from xunlei's end or from the extension's. Anyway, nothing the task manager couldn't take care of...

Yeah, wouldn't it be terrible if the Chinese government started monitoring our Internet traffic . .

While I don't feel any need to switch to this version, I can't see any reason beyond scaremongering to have security concerns. Surely anything you do over http in China is transparent anyway. And what's your alternative, switch to IE or Chrome? MS and Google are hardly less in bed with the government than Mozilla.