Chinese-Forums

Kungfu Question: Trying to properly identify an art

Hero Doug

No such thing as "Sandao" in martial arts.

Sanshou = Chinese 散手 = free hands or boxing.

San soo = Korean hangul version of Chinese "Sanshou" aka 散手

散打 or Sanda = "free fighting", an alternate name for 散手 "Sanshou" in Chinese, which might = "kickboxing"?

You friend probably got it wrong & it's most probably "Sanda" or 散打.

Edited by trien27
additional information

• 1 month later...

Go to Shaolin Temple and you will find out if Kungfu is useful or useless. yeah, maybe the Shaolin Monks can't fly like in movies, but they can jump upto the roof of the house easily. and they can use a needle as a 暗器, just wave their hands and threw the needles toward a window's glasses, the needles can piece the glasses. I saw that about 2 years ago in Shaolin temple.

By the way, I think it should be 散打 which style your friend studied. My cousin used to study 散打 in 长沙树木岭体校 too.

Hi I have seen your discussion and could not help answering to your question.

It can be that your friend really learned something called Sandao witch is indeed connected to the KungFo training or better said the kung fo training is a big part of it. Sandao is a whey based on the Tao The Ting teachings and Kung fo practice represents a part of it. Sandao has 9 levels, and each level has other small internal levels, some are based on the internal alchemy teachings (neidan) others are based on martial arts techniques, and so on... giving in the end a complete whey of living your life that can bring health prosperity and longevity. The fact is that the Sandao whey has as ultimate goal: the spontaneous living of each moment (that means being happy :) ) something that we all search in a whey or another.

They are not allot of people that practice Sandao, or if they are, most of them are very retreat, and very old, and they do not seem that welling to share it like in the old times. I think you shood ask more to your friend and do not loose the opportunity to talk with his master, only few have the chance to meet true Sandao people. And if it seems true enough let me know, OK? :)