Chinese-Forums

Lu Xun - quote on poverty

Meng Lelan

I'm trying to remember the story in which Lu Xun describes poverty where a rich family gets to eat meat and good food while just a short distance way a poor family gets nothing. Sorry I'm not more specific, can anyone help??

Thanks skylee, so it was part of a larger verse and not from Lu Xun. So my two questions are answered... I'm not sure why I got this verse mixed up with Lu Xun, guess it comes from my reading too many Lu Xun stories in the last few days. Right now I am reading 祝福....

And on to my third and last question: Are high schoolers in China still reading Lu Xun stories as part of their 语文 classes or are Lu Xun stories being replaced by newer stories? I saw some thread way back about Louis Cha stories getting into the high school 语文curriculum, if my memory is correct (probably not).

Meng Lelan

Are high schoolers in China still reading Lu Xun stories as part of their 语文 classes or are Lu Xun stories being replaced by newer stories? I saw some thread way back about Louis Cha stories getting into the high school 语文curriculum, if my memory is correct (probably not).

http://www.bjreview.com.cn/forum/txt/2007-09/14/content_76452.htm

querido,

A most interesting article, thank you for the link. That confirms what I've been thinking, that the new high school 语文 curriculum is being updated and 鲁迅 stories are being taken out. I do have the old 高中级 语文stories here, but I am wondering is there some way to read or find the 语文 textbooks online (for the high school level). I'm wondering if any of the 鲁迅 stories are being retained in the curriculum or taken out altogether.

querido, you are amazing. Twenty years ago I never imagined being able to read online versions of the 高中级语文. But I am not sure which numbers refer to which age/grade level? Like volume 1, and 必修1, etc., what do they mean?

I'm still plowing through this PEP website trying to find the story 雪山飞狐. The 鲁迅 story 祝福 is in there, in book 3, so I am very glad about that choice of leaving that in the new curriculum.

Edited by Meng Lelan

This has been discussed before, and it seems like some classics are being replaced by some more contemporary stuff to keep the appeal.

I cannot imagine Lu Xun ever being completely taken out of the curriculum, and doing this would be a huge mistake, IMHO. But I don't see the harm in putting some Jin Yong in there either.