Chinese-Forums

New Slang of China

gao_bo_han

Hi,

I have that book, though i never really used it much. In the preface they write:

This new dictionary of modern Chinese slang contains more than 1,000 entries of the most popular and widely used slang which has emerged in recent years. Most of the expressions in this dictionary are widely used in northern areas, while a few expressions originating from foreign words or from the south of China."

Since the book is published in 2000, and they write they collected slang that emerged in recent years, it might not be uptodate. But besides that, the book is not bad. The entries are like this:

气管炎 qi guan yan

"妻管炎"的谐音, 指怕妻子的男人. tracheitis; hen-pecked husband / Homonym for a husband who is strictly controlled by his wife. A term for man who is afraid of his wife.

例: 1. 我敢说他在家一定是个气管炎.

I'm sure he's a hen-pecked husband.

例: 2. 他一结婚就患上了气管炎.

He's suffered as a hen-pecked husband since he got married.

Florian

气管炎 qi guan yan

"妻管炎"的谐音, 指怕妻子的男人. tracheitis; hen-pecked husband / Homonym for a husband who is strictly controlled by his wife. A term for man who is afraid of his wife.

It should be "妻管严", not "妻管炎".

"严" = strict. "炎" here means inflammation. :wink: