Chinese-Forums

宅 - A colloqualism?

calibre2001

According to my dictionary and youdao, 宅 means 'residence'. I suspect the usage below is sort a slang. What does it mean in this context? Thanks!

分手到現在,單身快十個月了,我的生活只剩:學校,夜店,家裏。在夜店裏,我可以把自己藏在人群裏,在朋友安慰與酒精的掩護下,假裝一切都無所謂!但大部分時候,我整個人都提不起勁。只想待在家。整個人很

actually the original japanese word is 御宅, which means someone who devotes himself to a certain object, for example, アニメ御宅 means one whose life is filled with cartoon and rarely does anything else.

when the word comes to China, the meaning is gradually changed. just like zhun18ji said, now it only means staying at home and have no social communication.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Slow Chinese is such a great podcast. Now I don't even bother to subscribe to any other podcasts...I even wrote the guy a fan e-mail...

Do read the lesson on Slow-Chinese...yes, it's slang, if you say something like 我很宅, but you can use it in a very formal situation when you write that character 宅 on a formal business card to indicate your residence.

• 2 months later...

Oh,that's too bad.Many Japanese word has come into Chinese by anime and manga.If you are intereted in Japanese manga culture you should be familiar with otaku.That refers to those who are enthusiam in Anime,Comic ,Game (so-called ACG),and alway stay home to enjoy their hobby.