Chinese-Forums

Homestay in Dalian

grace_slick

hi! i'm now studying at the dalian university of foreign languages, i've already been here for 3 months and i'm gonna spend here one more semester. i would really love to do an homestay, but it seems almost impossible to find one. i asked my teachers,but they say it's not "anquan" and i really don't understand why...did anyone do an homestay in dalian and can give me some tips??maybe the name of a good agency, or website? i tried with www.homestaychina.org but they replied only to the first 2 emails, then they just disappeared...:-(

I would just try putting a classified ad on dalianxpat.com, daliandalian.com, any other English language sites I haven't thought of. Chances are anyone running homestays in Dalian will see that, and you may just find a Chinese family who wants a foreigner to come and stay for a while. HYCC are a very useful company, but last I heard they don't do homestays.

Before agreeing to anything, try and ask them how many foreigners are going to live there. I had a couple of friends who did a homestay in Dalian and basically got ripped off. The Chinese family soon realized that they could make a lot of money off the students, and rented the 3 bedrooms in their apartment out to foreigners (at 1500 RMB not cheap) and ended up moving out of the place altogether, only coming over to fix them meals.

Also, ask them what the vacation rule is. That is to say, if you decide to go traveling, will you still have to pay for regular lunches? That certainly should not be the case.

Good luck and have fun!

Randall

I lived in Dalian with a hostfamily and it was great.

I was studying at Liaoning Normal University, the home was just across the road.

I think they have foreigners living with them right now, but I am not completely sure. My hostmum has a great network, so maybe she can arrange something.

Write a private message to me and I can give you my Email and arrange a meeting.

nice freak, this sounds great,!! you're post really brightened me up the afternoon, there finally seems to be a solution! but i can't menage to send you a private message:-( i'm terrible, i know. so, why don't you send me a private message, and then i'll write u my e mail address...

thanks thanks thanks!

• 2 years later...
  • New Members

Hey guys,

I realize this is an old topic, but I was wondering if anyone can help me with finding a host family in dalian. I'm going there to study at the Ruiwen school next semester, and I've had some trouble finding a host family.

thanks!

• 3 months later...

goldace- I was wondering how it was going for you?

Were you able to get a homestay? Where did you go to find one?

How do you like the school? Are the teachers excited about teaching? Do you do 1 on 1?

Is it hard to make friends?

Thanks!

Derek