Chinese-Forums

Gauge my chinese pronunciation

easMonstret

Hi, people.

Here's a chance to get your whips out and do some serious damage to this newbe-ass. I'm looking for some comments on my pronunciation. This is me taking a stab at retelling a random story I was told: Video.

Some background information: I am a post-beginner student. I've taken one year of college chinese. What I am curious about is the intelligibility of my output. Chinese seem to understand me, at times. So, what do you guys think? What should I concentrate one improving? Tones? Over-all phrase melody?

Tanks a bunch

Your opening was very weak from a tonal perspective (4/10) and also phrasing (3/10), but from there, once the listener had adjusted to those elements, it became understandable. Your pronunciation was not too bad (6/10). However, you definitely need to practise and perhaps at this stage over-emphasise the tones (and correct ones at that). Without Chinese phrasing, the result will always be 'off'. Getting that right requires a great deal of attention and self-correction when interacting in Chinese with native speakers. I am sure that lots of Chinese will praise your Chinese to the sky for what you have done here, but you need to recognise that as either politeness or because they have such low expectations of what foreigners can do with such a 'difficult' language.

Not bad, though, for your level and definitely full marks for bravery.

You are indeed a very brave soul! Kudos for that.

Otherwise, aside from 和尚 and 故事 I had no idea what you were saying--and I only got those 2 words after about half of the story was finished. My Chinese wife also had a very difficult time understanding you.

As suggested above, I recommend really working on your tones. Something that worked well for me was finding a "voice therapy" coach. I hired a tutor whose soul job was to help me sound like a native.

You've only been studying for about a year now, so you still have an opportunity to turn it around. I'm afraid if you continue on your current path, however, bad habits will solidify and you'll have problems in the future.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...