Chinese-Forums

using 了 with duration time phrases.

meowypurr

I know there are lots of threads about 了 already, but although I found useful and enlightening information, I still have some specific unanswered questions. I already know about the basic differences between verb-了 and sentence-了, but I'm confused about using 了 when a duration of time is involved.

Here are some example sentences. What is the difference between all of these sentences, in regards to translation/usage? I'm not even sure if all of them are correct, and if not, is there a different verb I could use to make it correct, or does the construction not exist at all?

1,我学中文学了三年了

2,我学中文学三年了

3,我学中文学了三年

4,我学中文学三年

5,我学三年中文

Thanks.

1,我学中文学了三年了: OK : I've been studying Chinese for 3 years (and continuing)

2,我学中文学三年了 : I personally would not say this, and say instead either no 1 or no.3, depending on what I mean to say.

3,我学中文学了三年: OK: I (have) learned Chinese for 3 years (with this type of sentence, you're probably going to say something else after it.)

4,我学中文学三年: Not OK: Understandable but native speakers would not say this.

5,我学三年中文 : Not OK: Sounds like something missing. I would add 了 either after the verb or at the end of the sentence.