Chinese-Forums

Demographic data on Hong Kong

skylee

An aging society - medium age from 38 (!) in 2003 to 49 (!!) in 2033.

Imbalanced sex ratio - from 939M : 1000F in 2003 to 698M : 1000F in 2033.

Long life expectancy - 78.6(M) and 84.3(F) in 2003 to 82.5(M) and 88(F) in 2033.

More information (you can choose to read them in traditional/simplified Chinese) -

news.gov.hk

press release

If foreign domestic helpers are not included then the sex ratio is 997M : 1000F in 2003 and 749M : 1000F in 2033.

Interesting report -> 陰盛陽衰港女北上求偶趨升

The low birth rate is also quite alarming. It is reported here that in 1983 there were 1722 babies born per 1000 women, whereas in 2003, only 925 babies were born per 1000 women (the figure for Japan is 1320 and for Britain 1670). Many teachers are losing their jobs because there are simply not enough students. Fewer people could mean lower productivity (lucky that we have a lot of immigrants). And I think it is quiter worrying that far fewer young people would need to support a large number of elders.

Looks like the HK government is considering some incentives for having babies like longer maternity leave and subsidy etc.

Interesting demographics Skylee. I wonder what is contributing to the sharp decline in the birth rate in Hong Kong. What is the income level and social status of these women? Usually when people become more affluent and educated, they tend to want fewer children or no children at all, and this tendency is often found among dual-income, well-educated couples.

I think the population of those who meet that criteria is quite large in Hong Kong. (both having high incomes and being well-educated)

is that probabilistically possible?

for the sex ratio, i don't think it's a proababilty but it's the population of the immigrants. The vast number of mainland chinese women marry hongkong males, they will apply to move in hongkong.

In the past 10 years, around 150,000 mainland chinese came and permenantly stay in hongkong. No wonder females are the main composition of them.