Chinese-Forums

RIP John DeFrancis

mikelove

It's my sad duty to report that Professor John DeFrancis, author of Beginning Chinese Reader, Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy, and many other titles, passed away last Friday at the age of 97:

http://johndefrancis.wordpress.com/

While I never had the pleasure of meeting him, it's been a joy and a privilege to help bring his ABC dictionary to a wider audience through Pleco; his influence in the world of Chinese teaching is incalculable and all of us in this field owe him a very great debt.

I'm sorry to hear that :-( I learned my first Chinese from his Beginning Chinese.

DeFrancis contributed a lot to the learning of Chinese, and I'm sure his work will live on for a long time to come.

I have never used the ABC dictionary as well. I hear is it better than the most current version of CEDICT. Maybe one day I'll get a Windows Mobile device and jump on the Plecodict train.

Edit: RIP John, thank you for your contributions to Chinese learning.

Edited by ABCinChina

Prof. DeFrancis's Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy was a monumental achievement.

I've only read one chapter of it (The Ideographic Myth) and that alone changed the way I thought about Chinese. I think I'll order the whole book.

EDIT: I've just ordered it.

Edited by renzhe

I have read Fact and Fantasy. It's about time to get a copy of my own.

I use the Pleco and Wenlin.

I'm more into simplified, but I have found four of his textbooks, and they almost made me switch to traditional. Some day, I'm going to wade through them anyway.

Not the least because I'm a Swede, Bernhard Karlgren is at the summit of my list of scholars of Chinese, but JDF is not very far behind.

RIP.

I owe Mr DeFrancis any skills that I have with the Chinese language.

Years before Purdue University had any Chinese language courses, DeFrancis' textbooks got me going well into language programs for foreigners in Taiwan.