Chinese-Forums

Visa Question - Travelling around before school term starts? Host family?

meowypurr

Hi, I am applying for my visa soon (when my school's visa forms arrive). I plan to visit my former host family in Beijing before my term starts in Shanghai. I was wondering if there are any extra requirements for the visa since I am (hopefully) staying with a Chinese family for a couple weeks.

The representative for my school said that the JW202 form won't "cover" my stay in Beijing since it is before the school term starts, but my plane ticket and my visa application will of course show when I actually do intend to enter China. Is the plane ticket/visa application enough?

Thanks.

You'll most likely get an X (student) visa. These give you a month in which to obtain a residence permit, which normally the school handles for you - you just hand over your passport, maybe turn up for a medical, and that's it.

If you want to come two weeks earlier and stay in Beijing, you'll be able to do so. The trouble may arise when you get to Shanghai and the school only has two weeks in which to arrange your residence permit - if they don't / can't do it in that two week window your month long X-visa will expire. The consequences aren't likely to be severe - at the worst I'd imagine the PSB would call you in for a nice long talk about China's lovely visa rules and a friendly fine, but more likely they'll be a bit rude to whichever school employee they deal with and it won't affect you at all. The school might be a bit annoyed with you for the extra hassle.

If you're in touch with the school, ask them - they'll have dealt with the same situation before.

With an F-visa (which you will get), you can enter China from the day the visa is issued, usually until 3 months later. When you apply, put 180-days as "your longest intended stay in China" so you'll have plenty of time before and after your term.

The downside with the F-visa is (usually) you only get one entry. You'll need to go through the PSB to get a re-entry permit if needed.