Chinese-Forums

Suggestions for a tour of Shanghai

dai3yuen

OK, i'll be going back to China via Hong Kong this April.

I want to be able to get from Guangdong to Shanghai and then take a tour and come back. I've got a friend who lives in Zhong Shan who will be coming with me, so I want to take the train from either Shenzhen or Guangzhou to Shanghai.

Now I have a couple of questions:

1) Do I have to pre-book my tickets for the train ride? Or can I just go to the station and get tickets same day?

2) Does anyone know of any reliable companies that I can arrange a tour of Shanghai with?

I was also thinking about doing a Bejing tour as my friend has never been there either but I want to sort out Shanghai first.

Cheers!

I don't know if booking train tickets long ahead of time is possible in China. When I was travelling, we always got our tickets at the train station as soon as possible.

I suggest getting your tickets as soon as you arrive, it will save you a lot of hassle. In bigger cities, there are English-only ticket counters which might save you more hassle and time.

As for Shanghai, how long are you staying? If it's only a couple of days, then you can visit all the highlights on your own, probably saving a lot of money compared to a tour. It's quite easy to get around in Shanghai, even if it takes longer than it should due to crowds.

If you're interested in some nearby towns/villages, though, a tour is a good option.

Tickets are available 10 days in advance, I think. But popular routes can sell out quickly. Unless you actually want to take a train as part of the experience, look at flying - you can get some dirt cheap flights, especially if you are willing to fly at unsociable hours and can book in advance.

No idea on a tour company in Shanghai, but like Renzhe says, I'm not sure you need one.