Chinese-Forums

Pun from Journey to the West

YuehanHao

I recently read part of Journey to the West in English. There was an endnote in my copy of the book that was not fully printed. From Chapter 23, when the pilgrims are tested by the Bodhisattvas who are impersonating beautiful women, the widow introduces herself by saying that her maiden name is Jia and her husbands family name is Mo (小妇人娘家姓贾,夫家姓莫。)

The unfinished endnote reads "A pun on 'fal ". Perhaps, given the events that unfold, this note is starting to say that Jia represents false (假), but I do not know what significance Mo would have. My curiosity was piqued by that endnote. If someone who understands can explain this to me, I would appreciate it.

约翰好

莫 = don't / don't be

Take a look -> http://cdict.net/?q=%B2%F6

PS - the woman offers her 3 daughters - 真真+愛愛+憐憐 - to the monk & disciples group for marriage. Put the surnames in front of the names and you will see.

Edited by skylee

Thank you, Skylee. I didn't think about the given names for the daughters as being a clue. After you said that, then I could find some commentaries about the novel that I was able to estimate said something equivalent, but not before:

如二十三回里,寡妇姓贾,夫家姓莫,三个女儿分别叫真真,爱爱,怜怜。告诉唐僧寡妇是假的,对三个女儿不能真爱怜,因为她们是莫真真,莫爱爱,莫怜怜。

Good, so at least I can understand one pun from this book now.

约翰好