Chinese-Forums

Index of Stroke order?

UC_nostradamus

Does anyone know of any books/online resources that can help me with stroke order? Now, I know that there's patterns and whatnot (up to down, left to right), but I always forget. Any help with traditional and simplified forms would be appreciated (for example, what is the exact stroke order for 写,or even 书?) Thanks!

There are a bunch of online and desktop resources. Here are three: Wenlin (desktop, does a lot more than stroke order, expensive) www.wenlin.com; mandarin tools (lots of applets for translating, learning, and studying Chinese (www.mandarintools.com); zhongwen, a wonderful dictionary, has links to apps that will write out each character for you.

Hope that helps,

Sandra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For an easier way to find stroke order for an given character you can use this site: http://82.182.78.97/dictionary/. There you have almost 3000 stroker order animations and links to zhongwen.com. If you have not visited http://www.zhongwen.com i strongly suggest you to do so. It is one of the best sites on the net for character information.

I visit them almost daily to learn about the components in new characters.

In Wenlin, if you enable "Reveal Codes", you can use this code to should the stroke order of characters.

<skdig zi=''>

For example, if I want the character 李's stroke order, I would type:

<skdig zi='李'>

Once all the characters you want to study are listed, disable 'Reveal Codes'. Now you should have all the characters and their listed stroke orders. Give a little space between lines to allow room to practice.

Kong

• 2 weeks later...

Stroke order is a pet peeve of mine, so pardon the coming rant . . .

There are two kinds of stroke orders, calligraphic and school, the former having been used for as long as 楷書 has been around and latter having been used for maybe 50 years or less.

Nowadays, most Chinese (China and Taiwan) only know the school order and all the books for foreigners I've seen (with a partial exception for Rita Choy) use it too, so not a big deal maybe.

But I think it is a big deal because for aesthetics and speed, and especially for the combination of the two, the calligraphic stroke order is best. You'll learn it if you take a proper calligraphy class. Otherwise your're SOL :wall

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about,

When you write 王 the second stroke is vertical

When you write 田 the third stroke is vertical

When you write 書 the last stroke before 曰 is vertical

When you write 隹 the fifth stroke is vertical

When you write 生 the third stroke is vertical

When you write 青 the second stroke is vertical

When you write 里 the fifth stroke is vertical

There are other exceptions as well, and of course any character that contains one of the characters above (many do) ought to be written that way. There are a bunch of books for sale in Taiwan that can help you learn this way if you want (probably NOT advisable for beginners).

Hope this is of some help :mrgreen: