Chinese-Forums

「」 these brackets?

L-F-J

i think it has to do with traditional vs simplified. i have simplified installed and thats why this doesnt show when i enter " ".

traditional uses 「 」 while simplified uses " ", correct?

if so, then i dont need it cuz i dont type traditional characters.

pretty dumb topic. :mrgreen:

unless it helps others with the same problem.

Actually, I think it's a pretty good topic -- everyone can learn more about their input systems from these types of questions. Things many might not even think to ask.

I'm a Mac user -- so this might not be of any interest to the original poster -- but for Mac folks this is easy. When in simplified ITABC input mode, just type Option-Shift-B. This will pop up the punctuation palette in what would normally be your character palette for pinyin input. Interestingly, the ITABC input mode also has an entry shortcut that doesn't require the use of the optional keys. Typing v1 will bring up the punctuation palette also!

Here's an example. I'll type it on the fly using ITABC.

A: 我喜欢那部电影。

B: 什么电影?

A: 中国电影《我的父亲母亲》。

I have no idea how to do it in Microsoft XP or Vista, but on a mac it is pretty straightforward!

i can do this 《 》, thats just this < > when in the simplified chinese input method.

quotations " " when typing in simplified chinese comes up as “ ”.

i read somewhere that if its traditional then this 「 」 will come up as the quotation marks. and if its vertical writing then they'll be sideways.

i havent installed the traditional input just to see, but i assume thats the way it will come up. i just didnt realize it had anything to do with traditional/simplified, and thats the reason i couldnt figure it out.

in most simplified ime's panel there is a 软键盘 icon, right-click and select the 标点符号 table (also some other tables like greek alphabet/russian alphablet/japanese kana etc) then you can type symbols like 「」 by clicking on a pop-up mini keyboard.

In the Language Toolbar, when it's set to CH PRC there's a toggle switch with a period and a comma that switches between Chinese and Western punctuation, but nothing seems to produce 「and」. For those, you can go to the Punctuation Soft Keyboard (Option Menu > Soft Keyboard > Punctuation Marks).

That'll let you produce 「and」as well as 『』〃〔〕〖〗〈〉{}々…ˇˇ and【】.

• 4 years later...

Well,it seems not common to use these quotation brackets in Chinese,unless you want to be unique,I think.Never see those brackets in an article,I should say.I'm a Chinese,and I don't know how to type them neither,except using some extra input method edit tools,such as 搜狗拼音输入法,what I'm using now.

post-53001-0-83862400-1377835549_thumb.png

Well,it seems not common to use these quotation brackets in Chinese,unless you want to be unique,I think.

It is not uncommon. I was writing a press release yesterday and I used these quotation brackets in it.

If you take a look at the press releases of the public organisations in Hong Kong (such as universities and Government), you will find these quotation brackets are quite extensively used.

• Like 1

Chinese characters can be written either horizontally or vertically. If written vertically, 「」should be used for both simplified and traditional characters. If written horizontally, use “ ”for simplified characters (according to the standard of China). 「」is used for traditional characters according to the standards of Taiwan.

To clarify, 「 」are more commonly used in Taiwan and Hong Kong, while in mainland China they stick to “ ”. Interestingly, if you use the Firefox add-on Tong Wen Tang to convert simplified and traditional scripts, you'll notice that it will turn “ ” in simplified characters into 「 」in traditional characters, and vice versa.

On a side note, does Japan use 「 」 in Japanese writing? Could it be that Taiwan adopted 「 」due to Japanese influence? Just a wild guess.

• Like 1

I found this method on the internet. To type 「」 easily using Google Pinyin, go to Google Pinyin's settings > dictionary > self-defined phrases, and then set "[" to represent "「", and "]" to represent "」". I then clicked confirm, apply, and confirm. This works on my own laptop but not on my office PC (I don't know why).

I am quite happy with it. :P