Chinese-Forums

What to do in 1 month?

waxwing

Hello!

First, I'm sorry for posting this newbie, general question in an inappropriate section. I asked for a 'Newbie' section in 'Suggestions' but I didn't get a response from the admin.

So, basically, I'm coming to China next month and I need to at least start on learning the language. I'm going to be in Harbin so I want to go for Mandarin.

It seems from a general read that I need to work on: characters (for reading), and also Pinyin for pronunciation.

How should I go about this? What should I do first?

What are the resources on-line that will enable me to get started effectively?

Also, if you see my location, you'll realise that I don't have access to any offline English-language Chinese learning materials here. (I'm from the UK).

I don't expect miracles in one month but I want to try to avoid feeling totally helpless :D

What are the resources on-line that will enable me to get started effectively?

I'll move it into Textbook and Resources then. I'd assumed your question had got answered in Russian :wink:

Tim Xie maintains a great list of online resources, including to online courses with free samples. The page doesn't appear to be working just now, hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

This should get you started on pronunciation.

Roddy

Thanks for the links - I'm also interested in what is a good approach, i.e. what should I start with. Reading? Listening? Grammar?

I'm thinking I should learn Pinyin, and try to get lots of sound examples to listen to, i.e. make sure I understand how it's pronounced. Then start to learn basic survival vocab, and then spend some time learning the characters for that basic stuff. What do people think? Is it a good sequence?

the order we take in school is..

go over a couple introductory phraes and practice them

such as ni hao, qing ni genzhe wo shuo, ziwo jieshao yixia

then throughout unit one , there are 6 or so listening tests which makes sure we have down the pronunication, so basically make sure you get this down first.

then we went through maybe 4-5 units with 10 lessons a piece (involving a comprehension dialogue, listening is key)

and only then did we begin writing. i'd say writing is important, but secondary when starting.

maybe, um...

pronunciation/listening, conversation/dialogue, grammar, writing.

Oh I will.

I'm looking for just basic, step by step information on the web to help me develop a very basic vocabulary (reading, listening and speaking) before I get there.

i.e. exactly what xuechengfeng was saying, but I'm hoping to find something on the web, for reasons already explained.

thanks to everyone who's trying to help!

OK I've just read this thread:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2176&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

and now I'm really depressed..

:cry::cry:

Basically it means, that FOR EVERYDAY PRACTICAL SURVIVAL SKILLS (and that's all I want for now), I need to know simplified characters, right? Is that what they use in the street in China?

So I need to learn Pinyin, simplified and traditional characters?

It means I absolutely need to learn three different written representations when I'm just a beginner? :shock::(

I just want to be able to read what it says on street signs and maybe menus, maps to start with. Maybe that's too ambitious.

The problem is I've spent several hours (maybe several days) trying to pick up a few basics - the elements of Pinyin pronunciation and tones, several basic characters. Haven't really got started with grammar yet. But none of the websites I've looked at have addressed this basic issue - what you need to learn first, in what order, if you need to get some survival skills.

Once again, please help!

I'm not sure what the reasoning is for having to learn the traditional characters right way. The simplified characters will definitely be useful but I think you will get the least payback in China from learning the traditional characters.

What you need first, for survival skills, is what you will find in a phrasebook - I know you probably can't get hold one (except maybe in Russian), but maybe try searching for 'travel chinese' or something? I don't know of anything specific I'm afraid.

Menus, streetsigns and maps will all be in simplified characters in Harbin. A lot of street signs will also be in pinyin (there's also an English map of Harbin available, but you have to go to bookstores and insist they look for it - they so rarely sell it they forget about it).

For the mainland, you need to be able to recognise the simplifed characters. You might want to forget about writing them and use the time to learn traditional ones, but you will need to recognise them.

As for an order of study, I would suggest off the top of my head:

1) Pinyin and pronunciation. Set this foundation well, and early, because it's hell to go back and correct it later (trust me, I'm doing so)

2) Simple dialogues you'll need (if you can't find anything, put together a list of english sentences and post them here - I reckon someone will come up with the Chinese) in pinyin, with the characters alongside so you get used to looking at them and associating them with the pronunciation.

3) Once you feel more confident with the dialogues, look at the grammar of them and try and make new sentences by substituting different nouns / verbs.

4) Make some flashcards of the characters to help you remember the pronunciation

Don't push yourself - if you are just starting and only have a month of part-time self study, getting the pronunciation right and learning some basic phrases is plenty.

Roddy

PS If you speak any Russian, you'll be popular in Harbin. Although English rules now, as everywhere, a few of the older people speak Russian and will be delighted to speak with a foreigner, even if not a native speaker.

Thanks for that Roddy.

Actually I meant to ask you about that, Russian in Harbin. So it's a bit like French in Vietnam or Cambodia then eh? i.e. just a few old people speak it .. or are there many immigrants etc.? I get conflicting reports.