Chinese-Forums

《本草纲目》meaning

Music&MeForever

Could anyone please explain the meaning behind this one line in the lyrics of 周杰伦's latest hit 《本草纲目》:

马钱子决明子苍耳子该用莲子, 黄药子谷斗川楝子

I understand it's some kind of allusion using medicinal flower names, but I can't work out the meaning. Thanks a lot! :D

the lyrics should be

马钱子决明子苍耳子还有莲子, 黄药子苦豆子川楝子我要面子

only some names of chinese medicine, not alluding to anything,each one has a 子 in the end for better rhyming

a native chinese doesnt know much about these either, unless he is a CTM doctor.. for me I only know 莲子

@hofmann

thanks for the list of herbs! and thanks vampire for your correction :mrgreen: by the way, have no idea when the song was released but was told its the hottest song in mainland china at present :D also i was told that the names of herbs indicate a hidden meaning, so i'd still disagree with "It doesn't take a native"

any other suggestions, anyone?

these are all the name of herbs used in Chinese medicine. 周杰伦 was raised in a single-mother family, so he love his mother very much. there was a time that his mother always get sick, and later was cured by Chinese medicine.so this is primary reason for 周杰伦 to write this song.

some herbs metioned in this song are in fact good for 周杰伦's own problem, for example:

- 马钱子 is good for his ankylosing spondylitis.

- 仓耳子 is good for his nasal inflammation