Chinese-Forums

狗 or 狗子 ?

laopengyou

One day I was wisiting the Great Wall at Simatai when I was accosted by a Chinese girl who tried to sell me the usual stuff : postcards, books, and the like. First, I refused mildly to buy her things but she was very persistent. Finally, I told her firmly that I would not buy anything from her, and then she let go her grip and left, but as she did so, I heard her say something between her teeth which sounded like "gouzi de pi" which I understood as 狗子的屁, i.e. "dog's fart". What I'd like to know is : has anyone heard that one, 狗子的屁, or did I hear wrongly ? What puzzles me is the 狗子, as the word for "dog" in spoken Chinese is 狗, not 狗子 which is not even mentioned in any dictionary I have at home, but maybe it's dialectal or something like that. What do you think ? Thank you for your answer.

As far as I know, 狗子 doesn't have any actual meaning but could be used as a nickname.(well, technically, most nouns can be used as a nickname). In colloquial language, 二狗子 can sometimes have a special meaning which carries a negative tone: someone who are assistants of the policemen. Obviously, this is not relevant to your questions.

Sorry I cannot think of any phrases in Marndarin with similar sounds of "gouzi de pi". I would guess its in some dialect. In cities like Beijing and Shanghai, street vendors are seldom,if ever, local people.

"gui zi" could be 鬼子 (the devil), which used to refer to foreigners quite a long time ago and obviously is a derogatory term. Poeple still use this term today to refer to Lao Wai, but more as a joke.

I agree with beijingslacker, GOUZI is commonly described as a nickname(not so common anymore) or assistants of the policemen (kind of some unofficial securitors) who are despited by most people.

In your case, Gozidepi doesnot make sense, at least to me.

hope that helps

I think she is just a bad-mannered girl, because "狗子的屁" is a common bad language of Chinese. In English, someone may said "bullshit" or "shit." Chinese prefer to add "dog" in their language when they abuse others. Such as "狗娘養的," "豬狗不如," "狼心狗肺"...

The character "子" is just an expletive and means nothing. So "狗子的屁" is the same as "狗的屁."

"狗子的屁" is a common bad language of Chinese.
So "狗子的屁" is the same as "狗的屁."

I've never heard it in my life, which doesn't say much.

I was just curious in what regions people swear "狗子的屁" in Mandarin??( I am positive Beijngers do not swear in that way.)

Swear languages from different regions can be very interesting.

狗屁 is probably what she said, I've never heard people use gou zi de pi.

Well, maybe she said 猴子的屁 instead, after all, I can't be sure, as she uttered those words rather indisctinctly.

I don't know how things go in China, but here in France, many people (especially young people) like to coin their own terms of abuse quite freely, so every day you can hear new ones which you had never heard before. If a Frenchman called me "a monkey's fart", I certainly would not appreciate that, but from a sociolinguistic point of view, I would not be bewildered.

Best regards.