Chinese-Forums

Eternity

HamsterParagon

I've just started learning mandarin (been studying it for a grand total of three days now). I want to get a tattoo of the word "eternity". I've been doing some research, and I've found some conflicting results, can anyone help me out? I'm particularly curious because one of the symbols I've found is only one character, and all the others are that one character plus a few various others. Is there some simple and expanded meaning that I'm missing? It may be helpful if I clarify that I'm looking for "eternity" as an abstract concept, not necessarily like "eternal" or "lasting forever". All of your insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

HP

Yeah, right. Like I'm not going to look this stuff up before I have something permanently etched on my skin. But thanks for making fun of me, much appreciated. For anyone who is NOT mocking me, what exactly is the difference between 永遠 and just 永?

Thanks

HP

Before you get a chinese character tattoo, think about what you'd think if you saw a Chinese person with the English word "eternity" tattooed on their arm
Even better, think about what you'd think if you saw a Chinese person with "forever and ever, amen" on their arm, because most likely your tattoo won't mean just what you think it does.

For anyone who is NOT mocking me, what exactly is the difference between 永遠 and just 永?

The first one is a word, meaning "forever", the second one is a character meaning the same thing.

Whatever you tattoo on yourself will not mean exactly what you think it means anyway. So you can even tattoo a random character, and choose a pretty one.

Even better, think about what you'd think if you saw a Chinese person with "forever and ever, amen" on their arm, because most likely your tattoo won't mean just what you think it does.

Even better, it's a Chinese guy with "Always" tattooed on his arm.

He thinks it means "eternity" and has all these mystic connotations, but to a random English speaker, it is confusing, and the first association would be "I'm ready for it, whenever!"

Single words taken out of context are always difficult to interpret, especially if you want them to mean something in your own language, but insist on tattooing them in a different language (which probably uses the same concept differently).

Well, at least 平 does mean 'peace'. Imagine getting 安 and then going to Japan.

And give the OP a break, at least he had something that's quite translatable, and he asked before he inked.