Chinese-Forums

All Japanese, All the Time - any good for learning Chinese?

yersi

Having written the below, I should preface that I don't know this method in depth and am going on what's been written above and a little gleaned from the sites linked (ajatt I can't look at for too long though, as I get inspired to move to Japan, and I didn't find much of substance on antimoon).

To be honest I find the '10,000 sentences by SRS, comprehend but not memorize' thing to be smoke and mirrors. Why repeat the same 10,000 sentences over and over - reading books and magazines, listening to TV shows, etc, will expose you to language just the same, and you've to do the same vocab look-up and grammar figuring-out (however you opt to do that).

I suspect that would actually give you more robust language skills, as you're not constantly encountering vocab items in the same grammatical context and just recalling an earlier understanding - you're actually figuring stuff out on the fly, as you'll need to do when someone taps you on the shoulder and speaks to you, or leaves a note on your desk. If you're not memorizing, why use the same sentences over and over again? Maintain attention during varied input (ah, that's a 把 sentence . . .oh, so that's how you use 即使 . . ), rather than repeating input (ah, that's the sentence that means 'They could never reach the border by nightfall') seems bound to be more valuable to me.

If it works for you, it works for you, and that's great. If worshiping Conan the Barbarian as the one true god gets you out of bed every morning, then all hail Conan. But I don't see there's anything about flicking through a certain set of sentences that you wouldn't get through more conventional exposure to language. And I have groundless suspicions that after ten repetitions of that set you'd be lagging behind someone who paid attention to one hundred thousand printed and spoken sentences.

With all due respect roddy, I do not agree.

When learning vocab it is always nice to have an example sentence - and quiet often even close to necessary.

Also when learning grammar points, an example sentence (with a comment on why this is a specific grammar construction) is a great way to learn said grammar point (which again the ajatt-dude claims to be unecessary - which I do not agree with).

And yet when reading stuff, it happens (to me at least) that I look something up, I read on, and I have to re-look it up again - why not put it in anki - and why not in the form of a (shortened) sentence to see the vocab in action?

Hmmm, that does make sense. You're likely going to be doing flashcard vocab work anyway, after all. If it's an example sentence for something, which you've come across at some point, rather than just a sentence plucked at random. Think I might be partially convinced . . .

Hmmm, that does make sense. You're likely going to be doing flashcard vocab work anyway, after all. If it's an example sentence for something, which you've come across at some point, rather than just a sentence plucked at random. Think I might be partially convinced . . .

Thats how I do it, when I've done a lesson in class, I'll add the best example sentences to Anki. When I'm reading a manga and look up a word/grammar point to understand a sentence, I add that to Anki. Same when watching TV. It's not just random, but a sentence you have encountered and worked on before, where you know the context. So when Anki shows me "攻击他的头“ I vividly remember the episode where Rukia tells Ichigo to attack the phantoms head, thus enforcing the vocabulary stronger into my memory.