Chinese-Forums

What are you reading?

skylee

Just started 迟子建's 世界上所有的夜晚, a novella. Two small chapters in and so far it's good. She has a quiet, understated style that reminds me of 西西 (and I really like 西西).

Simultaneously reading The Feminine Mystique and it's a really good book. A very thorough investigation, from lots of angles, on what ailed the American housewife in the fifties. I had expected a feminist rant but it's not like that at all, it's very thorough and quite scholarly.

• 3 weeks later...

這些人, 那些事, by 吳念真. He doesn't seem to be too popular in the forums (I only found Meng Lelan mentioned him once), but I found this article about the low reading rate in Taiwan (apparently only two books per year!), and he was amongst the best sellers in the 80s, so I decided to give him a try. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading some short stories by 阿乙 and so far really liking them. Not often that I have read a Chinese author playing with flash forwards/flashbacks and other such techniques, throwing the reader in at the deep end instead of telling the story in a more straightforward way.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a copy of Wild Swans signed by Jung Chang in 1992 when she came to Southampton University with 2 other chinese authors on a tour.

She read from her book and signed copies for people, I treasure mine.

Her brother attended Southampton university in the 1990s studying, I believe it was physics.

It was a wonderful evening, I may well reread this book now I have been reminded.

Wild Swans was I think the first book on China I ever read, and it triggered everything that came after. But my copy is not signed by the author. Boss above boss, as the Dutch saying goes :-)

I'm still reading 阿乙 and still finding him very good. Dark, philosophical, original.

Shelley, I was just joking! I was not implying that you're thinking too much of yourself or anything like that. 'Baas boven baas' means something like 'I have this fairly good thing but now you (or someone else) come(s) along with something that is even better, there's no way I can win'.

Oh good, I didn't mean to come across as trying to out do anyone or imply that someone else's isn't good enough. I was very lucky to have the opportunity to meet her.

It was a Literature Live Writers on Tour - Chinese Writers.

There were readings from Jung Chang and also Bei Dao read from his book of poems and Yu Kwang-chung also read from his selection of poems from 1958 - 1992.

Each of them signed copies of their books for me and others there.

I had only just started learning chinese then and I was unable to read what they wrote, and years later I still can't :help

So if any one can read their handwriting I would really like to know after all these years what they wrote :)

Thanks for any help.

post-31145-0-88088900-1447025994_thumb.jpg

post-31145-0-69911400-1447026014_thumb.jpg

post-31145-0-06878600-1447026028_thumb.jpg

Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov... Not a Chinese book, but I find it funny/frustrating that I need a dictionary for this English book.... The author sprinkles French phrases and words through the book, and my 强迫症 makes me look up all the French in fear that I'm missing something important... With the amount in using the F-E dictionary I might as well be reading a Chinese book. (PS - it's a great book)

@xiaokaka Thank you for your efforts. It seems to make sense. Not sure what Jung Chang is trying to tell me!! :shock:  I don't remember being critical in any way, or maybe she is trying to tell me to always ask questions? i don't know.

Thanks again.