Chinese-Forums

Translation Help

JunXiong

Take a look at this story -> http://chinese.couplets.googlepages.com/double-happiness.html

This translation is in the story ->

walking horse lantern, horse lantern walking, lantern extinguished horse stopped trotting.

Flying tiger flag, flag tiger flying, flag rolling tiger hide itself .

And here you can find another translation -> http://rainy810327.blog.163.com/blog/static/86888620200871210248877/

“In a walking-horse lantern, a lantern horse walks. The lantern dies and the horse stops.”

“In a flying-tiger flag, a flag tiger flies. The flag folds and the tiger hides”.

Search "Wang Anshi couplet" (the name of the author and the type of the verse) and you might find more info.

it's difficult to translate, i think. maybe "只可意会,不可言传"

this is a couplet(对联),the bookman of antiquity show their literary talent by this game. we called it "对对子".when you answer others' couplet,you're required to make sure your follow couplet opposite or relative meanings,the same part of speech, and elegance best of all.

走马灯,灯走马,灯熄马停步is the first line of a couplet(上联),

飞虎旗,旗飞虎,旗卷虎藏身is the second line of a couplet(下联)

走马灯is a kind of festoon lighting which used for ornament in festival of lanterns.

you can see in this couplet, 走 to飞,灯to旗,马to虎,it's a repartee.

there's a literary quotation of this couplet about the famous poet of Song era 王安石.

the first line of the couplet was poetized by a patriarch's smart daughter. she will married the man who stand her test.the end of the story is that she married 王安石 who was the title of official examination. that is "洞房花烛夜,金榜题名时", blessing and resplendent future.

i don't know weather you can understand, but i try my best.