Chinese-Forums

Not a typical HSK question

laohu489

I've decided to take the HSK after living in China for several years. Scheduled to take intermediate test in Apr, and plan on taking advanced in Oct if this one works out well.

My question is this: what are the values of having passed the HSK, especially at higher levels? I know it is mandatory for entry into some university programs, but what else? Are there scholarships that are open? What do employers think (assuming potentially job relevant of course)?

Appreciate any constructive feedback. I've already paid to take it, so maybe I am just looking for reasons to make me feel good about studying. ;)

I haven't seen any value of the HSK here in the US or in China. My students can apply to study abroad programs and get in programs without the HSK. Right now I have one student studying Chinese in Taiwan and one student got accepted in a program in China and they never took any HSK. Also I have a student now teaching English in an international school in Beijing and of course she can do so without the HSK. And I got certified in teaching Chinese at the high school level without the HSK because Texas has its own Chinese proficiency exams, which I took and passed.

I think you can use your HSK score in job interviews (or at least I have). Granted, many times people aren’t familiar with the HSK system, but you can always use your score (assuming it is ok) to give them a tangible benchmark about how good your Chinese level is. I think that is useful for a potential employer because 1) accessing one’s Chinese level in a job interview is not always easy or directly relevant, and 2) some employers may want someone with Chinese, but they themselves are not fully qualified at accessing a person’s level.

Other than that, and getting into universities, there isn’t all that much use to the HSK that I can think of. However, with that said, if you study for it fairly thoroughly, I’m sure you’ll find that you’ll gain some unexpected skills and knowledge in the process.

When I was young there was no HSK. In the olden days the best way I experienced of testing Chinese ability was to ask the applicant to take Chinese dictation. This tester would read out a random paragraph from one of Jin Yong's novels and ask the applicant to take it down in Chinese characters.

The tester didn't mind if the applicant used simplified or traditional characters but being able to write both was quite highly regarded, I'm told.

The tester found this a reliable method of testing listening, literacy and general knowledge of Chinese culture.

I've wondered how the average native Chinese speaker would do on the HSK. It's not as if every native English speaker would get a perfect score on the TOEFL.

I'm sure most native speakers would do pretty well, but there are a few areas in which I think even native speakers would lose marks.

Taking the advanced HSK for example, the listening clips are very long, and even if you understand everything, by the time you hear what the question is, you may have forgotten what was actually said in the clip.

Also, the speaking and writing sections are marked not only on accuracy of language, but also on quality of content. A native speaker may well get a perfect score for the accuracy, but quality of content would not necessarily be better than a non-native speaker.

My friends and I are running an English training center here currently, we also have Chinese staff who teach some classes in both English, and Chinese (to other foreigners). This term we had some foreign students wanting HSK prep/practice classes. When introduced to the Chinese staff, and asking them to prepare some info or materials, their initial response was "HSK, What's that?"

Generally, educated native speakers will find exams like the HSK and TOELF (designed for non-native speakers) very easy. Even if individuals might struggle to answer some questions in the exams, as a group the native-speakers will distantly outscore non-native speakers.

Remember that these exams are specifically designed to test vocabulary and language construction considered "routine" for native-speakers, so it shouldn't be surprising that they will do very well on them.

The HSK in particular uses scaled scoring. Native speakers taking the exam would "blow the curve", so to speak, and receive very high marks.

You certainly can't expect employers to recognize it, but if you frame it in terms of setting yourself goals then working towards them and achieving them rather than just muddling along doing a bit of study when you were in the mood it presumably won't stand against you. Self-motivation, setting challenging targets and meeting them, blah blah blah.

It also gives a bit of structure to your Chinese study. I know that left to my own devices I'll learn the stuff I want to learn, rather than the stuff I'm lagging behind on.

All right, thanks for the words. Taking the HSK is part of my overall plan of being branded 中国通. After that, thinking about going to Fudan for a masters in something Chinese economics.

It would be nice just to know how good my Chinese is "officially" as well as bragging rights.

What about the BCT? As there seems to be little value in HSK, I assume there is even less for this test?

The BCT might have slightly more currency as it's business. But you're still generally going to have to explain what it is.

However if your aim is to be branded a 中国通, you just need the TDCT (Taxi Driver Chinese Test) administrated by the Beijing Transportation Administration. Just hop into any cab and talk Chinese until the driver tell you you're a 中国通. You get a distinction if he also takes a hand off the wheel to give you a thumbs up. Minimum test fee is 10Y.

Has any non-Chinese ever passed that test?

Strangely, among the best results was obtained by one caucasian (not 大山). He did Hong Kong school up to primary level 6 though. Youngsters learn a bit of Chinese in HK I guess,

No non chinese educated applicants ever did much good apparently.

Ethnic Chinese educated abroad did no good. Ethnic Chinese who went to Chinese school in Malaysia and HK killed all the rest.