Chinese-Forums

New Practical Chinese Reader Volume 2 - Audio?

HedgePig

Hello

I'm just bought NPCR volume 2. This is the first time that I've used NPCR and one of the reasons I bought it was because of the availability of the audio. When I got home, I took out the single disc that came with the book and started playing it on the computer. While there's a video, there doesn't seem to be any separate audio-only files. The DVD does have two folders - an "AUDIO_TS" and a "VIDEO_TS" but the audio folder appears to be blank. So....is there supposed to be audio-only tracks available? Are they on a separate disc? Or am I being stupid and they are somewhere on the same DVD? (I hope it's thee last option)

Regards

HedgePig

Thank you, JunXiong - that link is very helpful in understanding what's available (and what I still need to get,) I think learning Chinese is easier than the layout of NPCR's materials.

Regards

HedgePig

The audio_ts folder is always blank on dvds unless they are 'dvd audio' which I have never seen. You could just turn off the screen and simulate the effect I guess.

If what you're after is grabbing the audio files to put on a cd or mp3 player you should be able to do that, you'll just need to extract it from the files in the video_ts directory (which actually contains both audio and video). You should be able to find tutorials on the web about ripping and editing audio from dvds.

Thanks fanglu - I had no idea that the audio folder should be blank! I'll probably end up buying the CD's through because the sound quality of the DVD isn't great - there's a lot of background noise (traffic, etc.), and I'm hoping that the CD' s are better since people have mentioned how good the sound quality is for NPCR.

Regards

HedgePig

Do you live in the United States?

I have the CD set for book 2 but I'm well past that level so will never use it again, if you want I'll mail it to you if you're in the US. All I'd ask is you mail me back the cost of the postage after you receive it.

Hello wrbt

Thanks for your kind offer but I'm in Shanghai, not the US. I should be able to get the CD's from the place I bought the book. (At least I'll try there, however, I won't be too surprised if they don't have them!)

Regards

HedgePig

The videos for the fourth book are not worth it, as the book doesn't have that many dialogues, so most are basically essays being read over strange cartoons.

The fifth book, being all essays, doesn't have a DVD, and I don't think it ever will. Same for the sixth, when it comes out.

Just to say that I got the CD's without any problem and the audio quality is very good.

I don't like the way that the entire lesson appears to be on a single track (dialogue, vocab, exercises all lumped together) and have a few other issues with NPCR - but I do have the audio now! Thanks for your help everyone.

They fix that in higher levels, the lumping into one track. I forget at what level though.

Not in the first 4 levels, at least in the edition I've got. I used Audacity to split but now just use the whole files and mark the timing of dialogues, texts, so I can seek quickly the start of each text.