Chinese-Forums

3-3/2-3 Difference

skillphiliac

Already two threads after registering. Oh well, here goes:

Is there a distinctive difference between the third tone following the third and a two-three-combination? If yes, what would it be? If no...

http://www.shufawest.us/language/dual-tonedrill.html

This tone drill I found around here would be partly useless, at least the way it is now. Just to make this clear: I was just messing around with it, noticing I have a perfect score so far until several combinations mentioned earlier threw me off track.

Thank you!

You are correct in that two third tones in combination will change to a second and third tone combination.

I would presume that the tonal test assumes that you understand what the person is saying and therefore can work backwards that a 2-3 combination is in fact a 3-3 combination. If the test is to simply check your tones, then you would hit a problem, if the answers do not account for the spoken tonal changes.

Of course, spoken Mandarin has more than four tones if you include half-tones and neutral tones. Its a nice little test, though.

Puh, I am somewhat glad. For a second I thought I skipped a crucial element... still, relying on known words shouldn't work to well either I guess. :D

Certainly good for beginners this test, although it could be even more elaborately done.

Thanks Hanlink!