Chinese-Forums

Chinese Contest

dalizee

Hello. In two months there will be a contest in my University. It is dedicated to all students who are studying Chinese. And i really want to participate.

I'll have 3 tests. FIrst of them is to speak why do i wanted to study Chinese and how did this change my life in the last year.

Then it will be another test: our teacher will ask us some questions about China, about grammar etc

And the last of them it will be a practical test. I have to do something .. wow. And that's why i want to ask you what do you think it will be nice to show them? Most of my classmates want to sing. But me... i'm not so good at that. So, i have to show them something different. I wanted to say a poem about my Chinese name - my name is 秦月. But my teacher told me it's too short.

So, can you help me?

Thanks.

I don't really have a suggestion. I just wanna say that I am so glad that you are still studying Chinese, making progress and joining a contest. 加油!

If your namesake poem is too short, read them a longer one. Read 木蘭辭 perhaps. Or a really romantic one, like this.

Maybe you could learn a Taiji form or something similar. It would definitely look cool next to all the singers, and doable in two months' time.

EDIT: Of course, if this part of the competition also involves Chinese language skills, then it wouldn't be applicable.

Thanks for your messages.

I don't know if we can all do this test in the same time. I can't perform Taiqi while they sing. I guess...

I like Taiqi and this was one of my ideas for the contest too.

A few minutes ago i watched a clip on the internet and some ladies were dancing Ta Ge. Wow! That's amazing! And it's not too difficult. The problem will be the costume. This may be another idea for the contest. I don't know..

So glad that you can like and learn Chinese, also you have courage to attend the contest, many of my students like Chinese Language and Chinese Culture. I think you can get more knowledge and happiness in studing. If you have any question on learning and contest, we all like to help you. By the way, Chinese musical instrument is good choice to learn, maybe need more time to exercise. e.g. GuZheng, Dizi...

Reciting a poem is a good idea. I had one xuedi who learned to recite a poem in several different ways (one was singing, but you can choose something else). He had a teacher help him learn this.

Why not reciting a tongue twister? I think that's a good way to show your oral Chinese skill:) Although a little difficult, you have two months to prepare and practise.Do you know how to say numbers in Chinses? If you know,how about sì shì sì,shí shì shí, shí sì shì shí sì, sì shí shì sì shí ?4 is 4,10 is 10,14 is 14,40 is 40.

Or the famous story about Mr Shi who ate ten stone lions.

Or a funny poem:

寄李干    姚合

寻常自怪诗无味,

虽被人吟不喜闻。

见说与君同一格,

数篇到火却休焚。

• 1 month later...

Ok, so my contest is coming quickly. In 2 weeks i'll be there. As i said, first I wanted to perform tai ji, but there's another girl who's doing this. So, i decided to do 剪纸 (paper cutting). I'll make a flower and a butterfly.

flower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_tdBoBMFOM&feature=related

butterfly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jVqXZZpgAw&feature=related

But i need to find a little traditional song as a background. Can someone help me with this?

My speach is already finnished. All i have to do is to practice it and to memorize it. But it's not really difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I just came home from the contest. By the way, i forgot to tell you the contest's name: 汉语桥。I got the 3rd place, because i didn't know 2 questions' answers. My speech was called "汉语是件快乐的事儿” and my practical activity was 剪纸:一个双喜字和一个蝴蝶。They all liked my practical activity, especially my butterfly and the Ambasador asked me to give them the butterfly.

hanyuqiao2.jpg