Chinese-Forums

Dialogues/Texts with full English translation?

HedgePig

I'm looking for good self-study resources. I recently bought NPCR 2 and going through the 1st couple of lessons hasn't left me too impressed, although there are aspects I do like. Part of the problem may be that I'm just not familiar yet with NPCR's approach. However; I feel the need for a full English translation of the text, rather than explanations of just the key points. While I've found the first 2 lessons fairly easy, I'd like to know for sure that I'm understanding them correctly and I am not mistranslating something. I also found the grammar explanations very confusing. (I mean I understand the grammar but because I've come across it elsewhere.)

If anyone has any suggestions for textbooks (around NPCR 2 level or a little higher) particularly ones suitable for self study, I'd like to hear.

Regards

HedgePig

Check out Sinolingua's (华语教学出版社) Contemporary Chinese series (当代中文). They come in 4 levels, each one consisting of a textbook, exercise book, teacher's book and CD. If my memory serves me right, texts and vocabulary are given in characters (both simplified and traditional), Pinyin and English.

Thanks for the suggestion Don. I'll look out for this series.

I'm going to continue with NPCR for a while longer and see if I "get into it" but I think I'll miss the full English translation once things become a bit more difficult. So far NPCR 2 is largely presenting material I know with some new vocabulary. However, I don't mind this as the reviewing is still good for me.

Regards

HedgePig

Not a textbook as such, but how about this. Dozens of short interviews with native speakers covering a variety of backgrounds and topics, with traditional, simplified, pinyin, english and a video clip for each one.

It covers a variety of difficulty levels, but you should be able to work through it quite easily on your own given all the different options they provide.

Thanks imron - I'd seen that site before but forgotten about it. I think it's a little bit (a lot?) above my level but it's exactly the kind of thing that I'm looking for. I might try one or two easier ones and see how it goes.

Regards

HedgePig