Chinese-Forums

4 wks summer program in BLCU 2009

Andrema

Hey guys,

I am new here and was wondering if you can share some of your experience on studying Chinese in Beijing.

So I have been planning to join this 4 weeks regular Chinese program in Beijing language and cultural university during summer 2009. I am a 17 year old boy from Macao, but I've been living in Portugal. I can speak fluent Cantonese and so I can understand some mandarin but i wanted to improve it, and this is why I plan to attend this program.

I visited Beijing twice but the city is still new to me, plus I will be going to live there alone this time so I am not quite sure what kind of things I should be looking at in particular, e.g. how do the classes work? where exactly will i be living? I don't think there are classes on weekend so what other kinds of activity i can spend time on outside the course??

I appreciate all of your advices and experience on this summer program

P.S.: Is there any1 like me going for this 09 summer program in BLCU?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Andrema!

I'm going for the summer to BLCU. I will take two 4-week courses :)

I have never been to China, so I can't give you much advice. I'm now waiting for the documents from the university.

As far as I know, classes are 8-12 in the morning (20 h/w program) Monday through Friday. Where you will be living depends on you i think. Unless you are a scholarship student or booked a whole package through an agency, you will need to find somewhere to live. The most obvious option are student dorms, which you can try to book.

Anyway, I also found some people on facebook who are going to take summer courses ( http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=8381&uid=2204458916 ).

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi Andrema and Smurfette! :)

I´m also going to BLCU with a scholarship, from July 22 to August 19. When are you going? It would be so great not to feel totally alien there, so if you´re coming in the same term, drop me a message. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, i'll be at BCLU for the august 3rd "term" (4 weeks) , anyone going to be around!? i'm so glad theres so many foreigners going during the summer !

beijing has sick bars and clubs and i would be awesome if i met all of you so we can party hard together for one whole month! (and also try to study lol)