Chinese-Forums

X-visa includes spouse?

menyawga

Hey all, I am an American citizen moving to China in September to study for a few years. For this I'm getting an X-visa with multiple entries. However, my wife is accompanying me. This is further complicated by the fact that she is a Korean citizen.

Doew anyone know if my X-visa would apply to her too? Do we both need to apply separately for visas through our own consulates since we have different nationality passports even though we're married?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Menyawga

You don't apply for a visa at your own consulate, but at the Chinese consulate or embassy.

Yes, you both need to apply separately.

Edited by liuzhou

What would she actually be doing for those years? If she's going to be working, she's going to need her own work visa, similarly if studying long-term. Otherwise, your long-term stay here may be helpful in getting her a longer-term tourist visa, but there's no automatic entitlement.

• 3 months later...

from what I have been told and seen others do if you are married she can match your visa. However you have to have proof of marriage. So in this case you will need some type of official document from the Korean government recognizing your marriage. Another from the USA government recognizing your marriage. Then of course your acceptance letter etc. My wife and I tried to apply last time and had to get all the paperwork first. But they indicated it wasn't a problem otherwise.

• 4 months later...

hi menyawga

im in a similar situation regarding the X visa and would like to know whether it was possible for you to include your wife in your X visa to china? or did she have to apply for a separate L visa with longer term altogether?

thanks =) would appreciate any firsthand advice you can give. cheers!

We were told by people in Korea who worked with the Chinese embassy there that depending on the Chinese city/province we might be able to get her under my status for residence. We got a proof of marriage certificate in Chinese and had it sealed with the Chinese governmental seal and everything. When all was said in done in China though, they didn't give her 3-5 year residence status like me. Instead they just gave her a 1 year multiple entry tourist visa. I was told by a lot of other foreigners with dependents that this was actually better than what they got (some only were given 3-6 month visas). Basically, try for as much as you can get and maybe you'll get lucky based on the immigration office that processes your paperwork. Hope this helps.

-Menyawga

• 8 months later...