Chinese-Forums

For Speakers of Non-Mandarin Chinese Dialects, esp. Shanghainese

hunxueer

Hi all,

I hope this is an appropriate place to post. I'm looking for native speakers of languages and dialects, other than Mandarin, that are spoken in China. I'm currently working on a special issue of a Chengdu-based English-language magazine (CHENGDOO citylife), the focus of which is China (usually the content is specific to Chengdu and Sichuan). For this issue we were hoping to include some common phrases in dialects other than Sichuanese (as we regularly include Sichuanhua phrases). We've got Cantonese already, so I'm particularly interested in other major dialects, including Shanghainese, Wenzhounese, Wuhanhua, Changshahua, etc. Even some Beijing slang could be cool! We'd like the contributors to be able to provide Hanzi as well as approximate Romanizations of the pronunciation as well as the English equivalent.

Since we're still a pretty tiny, independent magazine, we unfortunately don't have a budget to pay contributors in cash but we do give credit and bios as requested and our eternal gratitude and any other sort of help we can provide you.

If you're interested please message me or feel free to e-mail us at chengdoo [at] gmail [dot] com.

Apologies for not posting to the classifieds forum but I'm afraid that the intended viewers wouldn't see it there.

Thanks all,

Jane (hunxueer)