Chinese-Forums

Planning to head to China in 2010, want a head start

Sarpedon

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on heading to China to study Chinese in 2010, hopefully on a CSC Scholarship.

Currently I'm teaching English in Korea (been here a little over a year), and although I really like being here, and the money is great, China is where I really want to be.

I want to start learning Chinese here on my own, but I'm a bit confused how I should start. I did a little research and tried to find some Chinese teachers/classes here but they are geared towards Koreans, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

I've found that even without studying Korean (aside from learning to read Hangul and basic taxi/bar/restaurant/shopping/directional conversations) that being exposed to the language for a year made me able to recognize words/sounds far more easily. I'd like to get a jump on that aspect of Chinese before going to China.

Should I study from a book? Learn pinyin? Listen to podcasts/Chinese TV/radio? Memorize characters? What's the way to best prepare for China without getting into any bad habits first? I looked at some of the very comprehensive links in the "Best of Study Tools" thread and felt a bit overwhelmed. I'm an absolute beginner and have no knowledge of Chinese language. Any help is appreciated!

Any exposure you can get to Chinese will be of use, but if you cannot find anyone to help you with pronunciation, then my suggestion would be to concentrate on grammar and writing to begin with, and then catch up with the speaking and listening when you get to China. Having a grounding in the grammar will help a lot anyway. Of course, listening to podcasts is also not a bad idea, but it is easy to make pronunciation mistakes if you try to copy sounds off a recording.

As for learning pinyin, I don't think you need to go out of your way to do this. You'll just pick it up as you go along anyway.

I suggest you find a good grammar book with exercises and work through it. If you can get hold of Chinese: A Basic Grammar and Workbook by Yip Po-Ching and Don Rimmington (Routledge), that is a good book to start with.

I did the same thing as you. I was in Korea for a few years before i moved to China.

I think if you want to get a head start with some Chinese.

Writing - learn both Hanzi and Pinyin

And have a big Vocabulary of Chinese words before you arrive in China. You might not know how to say them correctly but you will know what things are.

I would also get a Chinese teacher just to keep things interesting for you.

Should I study from a book? Learn pinyin? Listen to podcasts/Chinese TV/radio? Memorize characters?

Yes.

Get yourself a textbook - New Practical Chinese Reader, Chinese Made Easier, Integrated Chinese, whatever's available and looks promising. Make sure you get the audio. Record yourself with Audacity and work towards perfect pronunciation. But don't expect to get there this year. Work through that textbook. Pick up other books as and when you feel a need - maybe you'll find listening difficult, or be overcome by a burning desire to know more idioms. Spice that up with the likes of Chinesepod, PopupChinese, etc. Get yourself a decent dictionary and a flashcard program - oh look, Pleco is both. Schedule study hours and stick to them. If you can't find anyone local, look at online tutors or just online chat to get some productive practice in.