Chinese-Forums

Studying on a working visa?

boubou

Ok, so here it goes... I have previously lived in China for a year and a half as an ESL teacher. I'm looking forward to going back in September to study full time language and culture but I'm considering accepting a weekend job that WILL provide a Z (working) visa. Now I have e-mailed the university about this but the only answer I get from them is: You can't work on a student visa... My question, can I study on a working visa? Is it possible to be a full time University language student on a working visa? If anyone can answer my question, it would be very, very very appreciated... Thanks!!

You can study on an X, L, D, F or Z visa.

Well, more correctly, a Z visa issued by a school for to as a teacher will result in a residence permit with the permission to work as a language/culture expert (and the permission to study).

Do clear it with your school. Some schools get cranky if they find out and think you'll be wearing yourself out by putting more effort into studying than working.

Do clear it with your school. Some schools get cranky if they find out and think you'll be wearing yourself out by putting more effort into studying than working.

I would not ask them, I would just do it. I don't see any need to ask your boss if you can do something in your free time. If they ask I would tell them what i am doing and it they don't like it, I would find new employment.

Good luck with your studying :D

Yes, you can study on a work visa (Z-visa).

By the way, make sure this school is really going to offer you a Z-visa. I kind of thought that it was rare to get a work visa for just a weekend gig. Hope everything works out for you.

If you're going to be studying full-time it might be worth making it clear in advance that you aren't going to be able to accommodate any schedule changes. Get that made concrete before you even start, otherwise at some point they may well want to farm you out to a local middle school for weekday afternoons. Sounds like you know what you're doing though.

As for visa issues, there's no legal reason you can't study on a working visa. But if the course is oversubscribed you may well lose out to a more 'normal' student, and I can imagine you having some hassles persuading the school that this is perfectly ok, particularly if you are still overseas and not standing in front of them waving tuition fees under their noses. Depending on circumstances you may be better off with a more flexible private school.

Oh, I'm sorry I don't think I was being clear... The school that offered me the job is already clear about me studying full time, thats why they offered the weekend job. It's hard to find a teacher willing to come over for 15 hours a week... :-) I've lived in the city already and know the people, things are clear as ice when it comes to not changing schedules and me not doing overtime.

My big thing was to make sure the University where I will study will accept me being on a Z visa. But according to everyone it's no big deal so... Alright then, I"ll see what happens! Thanks everyone!

That should be fine then. My only concern would be the university not knowing if they can take you or not and not wanting to risk, ie, the PSB doing checks and finding not all of their students have the 'right' visas. So you might need to do some explaining, maybe have a letter drawn up by your employer saying you only work on weekends, please blah blah blah . . .

Let us know how you get on, and if all our advice was wrong.