Chinese-Forums

Tone Sandhi

stelingo

I am familiar with the rule that when 2 3rd tone words come together the first one becomes second tone. However what happens when you get 3 3rd tone words? I have read conflicting rules. For example in this question how would the tones work?

Nǐ yǒu jǐ ge háizi?

I think the reason you have conflicting 'rules' is because for such situations, there are no hard and fast rules.

In my understanding, if you have several 3rd tone syllables together as a unit, then all but the last change to the 2nd tone. The crucial factor is, what is considered to be a unit? This is a (usually subconscious) concept in the mind of the speaker, so taking your example, some people may treat 'Nǐ yǒu jǐ ge' as a unit, whereas others may separate 'Nǐ' and 'yǒu jǐ ge', in which case 'Nǐ' will retain its original tone, and 'yǒu' will become 2nd tone in 'yǒu jǐ ge'.

In any case, if you speak naturally and confidently, I think it should sound OK whichever way you do it. If you speak hesitantly, then it won't sound good, even if it is technically correct.

• 7 months later...

Ni3 hao3!

Thank you all for the advice with my past couple of threads. I have been studying, (a lot considering my internet is gone, and I have a declining social life) and I do have a good question. When one is speaking Chinese, as with ni3 hao3, the ni3 is said like ni2. Well, what does one do if they say something like ni3 hao3 wo3 hen3 hao3 ni3 ne? Many sentences have like several third tones together. Do I simply go down and up repeatedly, or use many half third tones? Also, if I use many half third tones, would a Chinese speaker mistake me for saying other words as it may sound like the 4th tone?

I would appreciate any advice, one could give me.

Katherine V. London.