Chinese-Forums

Question about use of "一个“

Kongkaiwen

Hello,

This is my first post here so 大家好。My question is about the use of 一个 in the sentence which I'd like to write.

My sentence is

她是一个很好朋友
I want to say "She is a very good friend." My question is, can 一个... be used to mean "a ...."?

I am only in my second year of (high school) Chinese so perhaps I am missing some larger grammatical point.

Thanks in advance!

-----》 她是一个很好的朋友。

'的' is necessary in this sentence.

But, in the sentence '她是一个好朋友。', '的' is redundant.

So let me make sure I get what you're saying.

"她是一个好朋友" means "She is a good friend" and because 好朋友 in itself is a noun meaning goodfriend/best friend, while the sentence "她是很好的朋友" means "She is a very good friend" (meaning she is friendly, not that she is one of my good friends), and requires a 的 because 好 is a adj. modifying the noun 朋友?

In short, to say "She is a very good friend (friendly)" should I include 一个 or leave it out?

After rereading the thread on 的 I believe I understand what you mean by it being necessary, but how does including or leaving out 一个 change the meaning of the sentence?

Using 一个 in this sentence is optional. However, it does sound better and more natural with at least a 个, as in 她是个很好的朋友. If you put the full 一个 in, it might sound rather pedantic (but it really depends how you say it). Leaving 一个 out altogether, the sentence sounds a little bare, and depending on what you mean, you might want to add a 就是 eg 她就是很好的朋友 'just' or 'only', eg 而已 at the end. When you start to learn Chinese, it helps to see the one-to-one translation of 'a', but the reality is that often such is optional.

• 2 months later...