Chinese-Forums

how prevalent are squatting toilets

xuechengfeng

You know, it's interesting that topics about toilets and kissing grow so fast :-?

but even today, most Chinese prefer squatting toilets.

不同意!

Any newly built apartment block will have sitters. Squatters only go in public toilets now (including those in restaurants, dept stores . . .)

So I reckon Chinese people prefer sitting :mrgreen:

Roddy

Squatting toliet is just necessary in china...and it doesn't hamper your joyfulnss to answer an urgent natural call.

Many years ago, I visited Qinghua university in Beijing after a long struggling train trip from inner mongolia. We were supposed to attend a welcome party but we just ran and ran , ran into a squatting toliet, and ..........groaned!

In fact, we suffered from the call for a long time when we were in the train, but nobody dared try the toliet. There were stench of urine mixed with strong nicotine, and the color of the commode was just ...too much color in brown. Some second-smokers tried to light a cigrette to blow off stench, but it didn't work.

Consider the hypigene in china, squatting is the best way, though it's not always good enough.

japanese toilets are amazing.

some have massagers and dehumidifier.

many of them are self-cleaning...

dont be surprise if u see this in japan:

In '80s, when most of the Guangzhou households still used squat toilet, every night somebody would come to collect the excrement buckets in front of every house as fertilizer.

the cleaners go to such homes like twice a week in japan.

lol @ amperel - apperentlyt I am not the only one either... :shock:

wow, thanks for sharing your insights on toilet usage, people!

Ian_Lee, your vast knowledge of toilet design and your extensive international toilet experience are truly amazing! I especially enjoyed the story about the fish farms...

What about in Hong Kong? Are most of the toilets there squatting toilets?

sitting. sometimes the tank is above your head and doesn't work. if you pull too hard, you get shower and an angry landlord.

when toilets break in china, hk, or taiwan don't forget to say "CHA BU DUO!!" ...

something breaks? you cannot return it in china.

no warrantees. :-) you shrug your shoulder and just say ...

"CHA BU DUO" ...

you should try it the next time you try to open a door in china and the door handle falls off... or some experience...

In '80s, when most of the Guangzhou households still used squat toilet, every night somebody would come to collect the excrement buckets in front of every house as fertilizer.

Actually there is a very elegant term for the odor from those buckets in Cantonese. It is called 夜來香.

Regarding the toilet on the train in China, is anybody aware that those toilets are "thru toilets" -- which means every stuff you download is directly deposited on the rail track in China?

(The last time I was on a Chinese train was in the '90s and I don't know if it has changed.)

I guess that is probably why during brief stop at train station, the toilets are closed for use.

Geek_frappa:

What toilet in HK are you referring to when you say that it got tank on the top?

In every apartment building or shopping mall every toilet you can find is all name brand products -- American Standard, Kohler or Jacob Delafon.

And the toilets in the shopping malls that are attached to busy train or subway stations -- i.e. New Century Square at Mongkok Train Station -- are kept very clean even though there is a very high degree of usage.

Even some public toilets operated by government, i.e. the one at Big Buddha Statue in Lantau -- is okay hygienically -- per western standard.

Regarding the toilet on the train in China, is anybody aware that those toilets are "thru toilets" -- which means every stuff you download is directly deposited on the rail track in China?

(The last time I was on a Chinese train was in the '90s and I don't know if it has changed.)

I guess that is probably why during brief stop at train station, the toilets are closed for use

Not only in China. It used to be the same here in Germany until 10 years ago. Only difference might be that they just put up a sign stating that usage in stations is verboten. I don't think it is/was much different in other european countries.
And of course, if you join a tour to the grassland in Inner Mongolia, you just go dig a hole.

In outer Mongolia, they sometimes have rectangular man-deep pits with some parallel shelves laid across them. You can see where you will end up if one of the shelves breaks :-?

What toilet in HK are you referring to when you say that it got tank on the top?

In older buildings, such as my folk's place in North Point, the cistern is installed closed to the ceiling, which I guess has to do with water pressure.

BTW, HK is the pioneer of using sea water as flushing water (so I have heard).

Quote:

I guess that is probably why during brief stop at train station, the toilets are closed for use

Not only in China. It used to be the same here in Germany until 10 years ago. Only difference might be that they just put up a sign stating that usage in stations is verboten. I don't think it is/was much different in other european countries.

Yeah, you're right. It is the same in England. We can't use the loos when the train is stationary in stations.

(Virgin Trains have these really cool train loos with Star Trek futuristic like sliding door. Probably can't beat those Japanese waterjet loos though.)